Authoring on Android

Hello everyone!
I was wondering if we could start a thread discussing the latest options for authoring on an Android phone. I use my phone for everything, including some tasks that many people would consider “heavy lifting”. I’m looking for a way to develop and author IF on my phone.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Chris

1 Like

Hey, I do this, too :))

I’ve heard from many sides how that’s… suboptimal, but I use Twine and since it’s browser-based, that makes it more Android-friendly. (Also, I do it on a tablet that I keep mostly in airplane mode, so I don’t get as distracted as I do when using another device; and also, my laptop is on its last legs and I don’t have money for a new one.)

Mobile browsers are not as optimized for Twine, either, however. I use Edge, since newer Chromes don’t display Twine at all, unless you’re willing to jump through a dozen hoops. I’ve jury-rigged some Sugarcube widgets with some of the common functionalities of ink to be able to write stuff within a single passage so I wouldn’t have to wrestle with Twine’s IDE as much. (Though flowcharting is useful for higher-level planning.)
Btw, I often use Code Editor to write in, and then copy and paste into Twine passages.

2 Likes

I haven’t tested them extensively, but you’ll want to take a look at Fabularium and Borogove:
Fabularium lets you create Inform 6 and TADS 3 games.
Borogove works in the browser and lets you create Inform 6, Inform 7, Hugo, and Dialog games.

2 Likes

Unfortunately Borogove’s editor doesn’t support Android, but you can work around this by editing the source in a text editor on device and then uploading to Borogove. I did some of the development on Wear Gloves that way.

I’d be remiss if I didn’t mention my Inform 7 app for Android. It’s quite long in the tooth because I lost the signing key and some of the source, but it might still work on your device.

1 Like

@Juhana is actively developing Borogove, so if you find any bugs, you should report them. It works on my Android phone FWIW.

Edit: Oh, I have found a bug, backspace doesn’t work.

1 Like

Juhana already knows. (See Borogove: Online editor for Vorple, Inform, Hugo and Dialog - #54 by Juhana).

The way Monaco (the editor used by Borogove) misbehaves with Android depends on which keyboard app you use. I’ve seen text duplication, text being inserted on the wrong line, and the backspace not working. I suspect Monaco doesn’t listen to the web input method events.

3 Likes

@rockwalrus Unfortunately, when I downloaded your APK, there was a parse error.

I’m playing around with the other suggestions people have made. I’ll let you know how it turns out. In the meantime, I hope that other people will CHiME in with their own suggestion.

1 Like