At Long Last: "Return to the Stars" Post-ParserComp Release

“Good things come to those who wait,” I guess? Anyways, now was finally a good time for me to sit down and go through all the feedback I received on the game. (A big THANK YOU to everyone who sent in feedback – be it in public reviews or privately!) As such, I am pleased to announce Release 3 of Return to the Stars, my entry to ParserComp 2021. (Time flies, doesn’t it?) You can download it on itch.io or via IFDB.

The perhaps most notable change (in the sense that it “breaks” existing walkthroughs) is that the gun must now be loaded explicitly befire being able to shoot it. Some texts have been changed, so the game now at least acknowledges some of the unanswered questions, rather than brushing them aside altogether, but without changing the overall feel of the game too much. The complete (spoilerful!) changelog can be viewed in the itch.io devlog.

The source code for the game is now available on GitHub, or to browse as an I7-generated web page, so if you want, you can take a look at how I achieved certain effects, or what content you might not have seen yet (spoiler – there is a hidden ending that I don’t think anyone mentioned during the comp).

Finally, I hope you had (or are still having) a very Merry Christmas, and wish you all a Happy New Year!

8 Likes