Ask Ryan

ON “THE COMPLETE GUIDE TO KOHOLINT”

Of course the main impetus for the podcast was the fact that the overworld map of Link’s Awakening is really really good. The density and interconnectedness of the map, the “pacing” of interesting spaces being separated by just the right amount of boring space, is better than in any other 2D Zelda maybe. I’m pretty sure the original idea for the podcast was specifically to analyze the incredible construction of the overworld map as an overworld map, and we ended up talking about everything else in the game just because we happened to be on the subject.

The presentation of the map in “tiles” suggested the format of analyzing each screen individually, the way some podcasts will analyze a film one minute at a time. This seems like a bad idea on its face, because there’s 256 map tiles and a huge percentage of them are boring. But “a ‘terrible idea’ is just a fantastic idea you haven’t committed to yet,” and this problem presented the opportunity to do a daily podcast! A daily podcast where most of the episodes are only a few minutes long. Because most of the time there’s not much to say. But how fun, to do a daily podcast for 256 days!

We divided the series into 16 “sections” or “seasons” of 16 tiles/episodes each. We assigned one “important tile” to each season. For half of them, these were the tiles containing the eight main dungeons; for the others they were the locations of plot points breaking up the dungeons, like the ghost’s grave. These sixteen critical-path tiles were sure to appear in order.

Then I randomly divided the other 240 tiles among the 16 seasons, then I randomized the order of the 16 episodes in each season. Except we wanted the place on the beach where you get the sword to be for sure the first episode, and we wanted the Egg to be for sure the last episode.

So it was almost entirely random.

ON “RYAN VEEDER’S MUD WARRIORS”

(It amuses me to distinguish my Inform 7 game, “Mud Warriors,” from the Game Boy Studio adaptation, “Ryan Veeder’s Mud Warriors.”)

I composed all the music! There’s a download link at that itch page and there’s a YouTube playlist here. Both include all the “high-res” tracks I composed in GarageBand before the project got switched to Game Boy Studio. (Lance’s original pitch was to do one-bit graphics in RPG Maker.)

Other than that, my involvement in the project consisted mostly of high-level, hands-off stuff. I didn’t program a single thing. I didn’t write anything (except the pre-title opening text); all the additional writing is Lance’s. But I believe I was the one who suggested the combat system, which I stole from For the Frog the Bell Tolls (which is closely related to Link’s Awakening, how about that), and I sort of halfway redesigned the map in such a way as to make the gating work. Actually, I have the image I used to propose that map… right here!

Big spoilers!!!

ON WHETHER I KNOW OF BITSY AND MY TAKE ON THAT CONTROVERSIAL TOPIC

I only know a little bit about Bitsy. But I am deeply grateful to you for providing an opportunity to present my thoughts on this controversial topic in a context where nobody will start any sort of debate with me. Thank you. There are, after all, many other questions for me to answer, on many other subjects.

The usefulness of defining a category like “interactive fiction” is in carving out a universe of discourse where we can usefully compare similar entities. It is not useful to attach a value judgment to such a definition—like how some people insist that art has to meet some standard of quality to be considered “art.” This type of definition precludes a bunch of useful and interesting conversations distinguishing good art from bad art.

So I don’t believe there’s any privilege or status involved in classifying something inside or outside the category of interactive fiction. It’s just a matter of whether you get anything out of comparing it to other things in that category.

I think what unites the format of interactive fiction, what makes it interesting to compare Aisle to The Cave of Time in a way that neither can be compared to Super Mario 3D World, is that it relies on a verbal presentation. You can compare how works of IF use words to build environments and puzzles and experiences. The craft of IF is the craft of making words be interactive.

Obviously almost all games use words to different degrees. I don’t think there’s a hard line along this spectrum that delineates the universe of interactive fiction. It is useful for this sort of definition to be fuzzy. But I propose this “test” for gauging the extent to which it is useful to include a game in the category of interactive fiction: What would happen if you changed the language of the game to one you don’t understand? Or what if you censored all the text in that game?

Animal Crossing, for instance, has oodles of text. Playing it with no text would be an extremely impoverished experience—but you could still catch fish, change your outfit, buy furniture, decorate your house. You could even enjoy chatting with your villagers, if only via their body language. (I played Animal Crossing in French for a long time and didn’t understand a lot of it.) On the other hand, if you censored all the text in my wonderful game The Little Match Girl, you would not enjoy yourself nearly as much.

It seems to me that Bitly can be used to create games that rely so heavily on text as to be obviously and usefully included in the category of interactive fiction, and it can also be used to create games where the presentation and interaction are so text-independent that it would not make sense to call them interactive fiction, and it can be used to make games that stand between these extremes, such that the question of their classification would be very interesting to one who takes an interest in such questions. And that would be an incredibly useless sentence, were it not preceded by so many paragraphs of such excellent substance.

ON HANS CHRISTIAN ANDERSEN

In writing the Little Match Girl games I’ve slowly learned more about Hans and his work. He strikes me as a very sweet individual, and surprisingly weird or funny or subversive in a way that’s difficult to parse from all the way over here. I like him.

The games go off in all kinds of ridiculous directions, but I try to use Andersen’s stories as jumping-off points. The Little Match Girl 2 is distantly inspired by The Story of the Year, and The Little Match Girl 3 is “inspired by” The Snow Queen in perhaps the stupidest sense of the phrase.

I would like to think that, instead of or on top of being flights of my own personal fancy, the games represent my take on his worldview to some extent. But who knows.

Thank you for your questions.

2 Likes

Hi Ryan, given the Clone High avatar (a TV show that mostly aired in Canada before it did in the U.S.) are you Canadian like I am?

Sorry if this is already public knowledge or not something you want to share. I remember Taco Fiction well but I am relatively new to the forums and not sure who has come and gone and spilled the details of where they live.

Thank you for your answers.

I just realized that this thread must have been inspired by the “Ask Dan” column on the old Nintendo website, which you mentioned on the “For a Change” episode of Clash of the Type-Ins.

I live in Iowa.

I made this GIF a long time ago. It could be useful to someone, somewhere…

cloner

Thank you for your question.

(Obviously, please feel free to not answer anything that you don’t want to answer.)

Are there any questions that would be good or interesting questions for people to ask you, or that you wish people would ask, but they usually don’t?

Is there a story behind the name “Afterward”?

1 Like

I think people should ask me more questions about my games. I have written lots and lots of games, and I find them to be extremely interesting. I think about them all the time.

But I don’t know what specific questions I think people should ask me about them.

I don’t think there’s what you’d call a story behind the name “Afterward.” I do think it’s really cool to have a username that’s an adverb. Nobody does that.

2 Likes

Is Craverly Heights still an ongoing day-time soap-opera or has it been cancelled?

1 Like

Craverly Heights has been running since at least the 80s, and it certainly seems like the kind of thing that will never go away. Its current incarnation might bear only a superficial resemblance to how we saw it in 2013, though. The continuity on that show is a mess.

1 Like

I think people should ask me more questions about my games.

I’m working on an Inform game involving photography and I remember playing Robin and Orchid, which had photography as a central mechanic.

I should probably revisit it so that I can ask more specific questions, but how would you describe the development of the camera system there in a nutshell?

Did you run into any issues? Was there anything you wanted to implement but couldn’t? Did you add any features that you weren’t expecting to?

Implementing the camera in Robin & Orchid was a more or less painless process for me, because Emily Boegheim did all the work.

We did run into some issues. There were several things we wanted to implement but couldn’t—or, things Emily implemented and then had to de-implement. R&O had some performance problems, and we had to scale back certain nonessential features. These were mostly disambiguation statements along the lines of Understand "X" as Y while... DID YOU KNOW: A game with too many sentences like that will be laggy.

I don’t think the excised camera features were all that problematic on their own, but they caused extra lag when combined with the ability to look up Any Object In The Game in Casey’s notebook, which was a more important feature for us. It’s possible that these features could be un-commented-out in a different project—like yours, perhaps!

Fortunately, Emily preserved the removed features in the source text, which is available to you right here. I would like to warn you that there are big secrets to be found in the source text—stuff that most players of Robin & Orchid have no idea of! So if you stumble across any such mysteries, you are hereby sworn to secrecy.

The camera-related material starts here and ends with this section. You should feel free to steal as much of it as will be helpful to you. I think Emily’s excellent work deserves to live on in other photography-oriented games. And she says it’s okay.

1 Like

Didn’t Cragne Manor end up demonstrating that you could have zillions of these and still be fine?

-Wade

What was the inspiration for Castle Balderstone? Were the individual segments originally ideas for standalone games, or always conceived as part of an anthology? Did you already think there might be four games in the series from the outset? Will there be further tales in the future?

I don’t remember.

What should we know about Nautilisia that we probably don’t?

Maybe the primary inspiration for Castle Balderstone was a book I wrote called ‘MOTORCYCLUS’ and Other Extremely Scary Stories.

The main thing I wanted to do with Castle Balderstone was make an anthology game. Long before I wrote the first installment of the series, I programmed the system for switching between the vignettes, and then I abandoned the project for a while, because I hadn’t actually thought of any vignettes.

I think it was a whole year later that I was inspired to write “Don’t Dive Into Blood, Kids,” and then I tried to very quickly write enough other tiny games to round out the anthology. I designed and maybe wrote part of “Where We Can Hear the Whispering Dark” at that time, but I couldn’t finish it before the EctoComp deadline.

So I knew I had to do another installment where I could include that story! And that meant I had to come up with several other stories, and their authors, and more of the surrounding culture, and all of this tends toward the possibility of making a third game, and then…

The vignettes were originally supposed to be too small to work as standalone games. They’re supposed to be attempts at writing things that I-as-myself-Ryan would never write. The point of the frame story is to make sure you know that Elmir Divkovic wrote “The Inquisitor Vultrine” so you can consider what the story says about Divkovic. I’m not sure if all the stories and all the authors really stand up to this sort of analysis, though.

The stories in the latest installment are all big enough to work as standalone games, but the same principle applies, or is supposed to apply.

There are some more things I’d like to do in the Castle Balderstone series. I have a Balderstone 2022 folder here on my computer. That folder contains a single text file. That text file is 137 bytes long.

1 Like

Nautilisia is secretly “based on” a poem by Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr., in a way that might best be appreciated by people who played the game before hearing this. Anyone who is finding out about this now, but who hasn’t played the game, and who now sets out to play the game and find out what I’m talking about, will probably be underwhelmed.

I never intended to reveal this! But I have a lot more games now, with many more exciting secrets to discover, so this fairly innocuous secret can safely be laid bare.

Thank you very much for your question.

1 Like

Hi Ryan,

I’ve played several of your games and always enjoy them - I actually first played your games about a decade ago and have just just come back to IF after far too long! Great to see that you’re still writing and producing great games. The games I’ve played include Taco Fiction, You’ve Got A Stew Going, Nautilisia and Wrenlaw. If you’re happy to answer any of these questions, I’d love to hear…

1. Was ‘You’ve…’ your first ever game? Or did you have a play around a few times before you hit your stride with that one?
  2. What’s your process like for creating a game? Do you tend to map out the locations and plot first or do you start with a particular kind of interaction you’re interested in? Is it different on different games?
  3. Does the implementation form a big part of that? So, are there things that you rule out as being a headache relative to the pay off for the player and so on?
  4. Wrenlaw is quite different in tone and experience from the other three - was that more autobiographical as a piece?
  5. What parts of your games have you been proudest of? Are there any parts of implementing them that really drove you nuts at the time? Which games of yours should I play next?
  6. What are a few games of other authors that you’ve really admired and why?
  7. My son (12) is quite into computer games so I’m keen to get him into IF - he’s asked me to make him a game featuring the SCP Foundation - any tips for a first time coder?!

Thanks so much for answering any of these in as much / little detail you like…

1. Was ‘You’ve…’ your first ever game? Or did you have a play around a few times before you hit your stride with that one?

I made one other game first, where I was just giggling with glee over the miracle of making a computer respond to stuff you typed into it. I don’t want to put the whole thing out there but here’s a little bit of code:

Using is an action applying to one thing. Understand "use [something]" as using.

Carry out using:
	say "To what use indeed? To what use indeed."

2. What’s your process like for creating a game? Do you tend to map out the locations and plot first or do you start with a particular kind of interaction you’re interested in? Is it different on different games?

It is different on different games. I think on Wrenlaw I started out with the location and sort of grafted a story onto it. Taco Fiction started out with the title. I’ll tell you about how I developed some of the vignettes from the latest Castle Balderstone game, since those are fresh in my mind:

Visit Skuga Lake

I just wanted to copy the DSS system from Castlevania: Circle of the Moon. I had wanted to make my own version of this for a long time. The story began to take shape when I had the idea of placing a magic gem in the eye-hole of an animal totem amulet. That was a really cool image, and it suggested a bunch of animal-themed magical abilities.

I came up with a good set of animal amulets and ability types (like “talk to that type of animal” or “conjure an element that kind of matches that type of animal”) and made a spreadsheet of the powers you’d amass in this game. I looked at other games for abilities that would be fun to steal—like the mind-reading power, which I took from Golden Sun.

As this set of abilities filled out, I started coming up with puzzles to which the abilities could function as solutions, and I started coming up with a map where these puzzles could take place. The magic system also inspired certain parts of the story and story structure.

When I had the whole map drawn up and the story figured out, I started actually writing the game—but I still hadn’t settled on abilities for some of the stone/amulet combinations. I had to figure those out as I went along.

Singing for Me

I was playing Stardew Valley and I noticed that, after I did all my chores in a day, there was very little time to do anything else. I was lucky if I could decide to do one other thing. And I thought, what if we automated all those chores, but instead of letting you do more stuff we codified this rule that you only get to make one decision each day?

So I made a list of things you do in that sort of game—similar to the Skuga Lake ability list, actually! You can decide to buy something, you can decide to explore an area, you can decide to hang around a certain person.

And then I came up with a world where you could do all those things, and a story that made sense for that world. Except it had to be scary, because it was a Castle Balderstone story.

Nyvo the Dolphin

I was having a very grumpy day. I probably had a bad headache. I tried to make myself feel better by coming up with a game that would be as angry as I was. I don’t think this turned out to be all that therapeutic, but it was a long time ago, so I don’t remember for sure.

I thought it would be appropriately frustrating to make the game’s map very three-dimensional and unpredictable. This implied that the PC would be, say, a dolphin, swimming up and down around a shipwreck. The dolphin would run into the skeleton of some sailor who died in some grisly manner, and the skeleton would wordlessly teach the dolphin how to scream.

I got over my grumps and probably would have set this idea aside permanently, except the idea “skeleton teaches dolphin how to scream” got stuck in my craw. So, again, I came up with a world and a story where that idea could happen.

Usually there’s one neat thing I want to do, and I construct the game around it. There are some games where the inspiring idea is the setting, though: Wrenlaw, Ascent of the Gothic Tower, Curse of the Garden Isle. And I guess you’d say the story came first in The Horrible Pyramid or An Evening at the Ransom Woodingdean Museum House. I think.

3. Does the implementation form a big part of that? So, are there things that you rule out as being a headache relative to the pay off for the player and so on?

When an exciting idea makes me want to start on a project, it doesn’t matter how much of a headache it will end up being. Like the whole one-turn-a-day concept in Singing for Me. That is a stupid idea. Way too much work. But I really wanted to do it!

When a headache of an idea presents itself in the middle of development, I’m more likely to give it a pass.

4. Wrenlaw is quite different in tone and experience from the other three - was that more autobiographical as a piece?

Yes.

The settings of Wrenlaw and Taco Fiction are both based on places in Iowa City that I wanted to recreate in text. But the Taco Fiction location inspired feelings of anxiety and sneakiness for me, whereas the setting of Wrenlaw was connected more with reflection and wistfulness.

5.1. What parts of your games have you been proudest of?

I think the structure and themes of Winter Storm Draco are extremely tight and good.

I’m incredibly proud of The Lurking Horror II: The Lurkening, just because I wrote an MIT Mystery Hunt puzzle all by myself. And it has a story and jokes, which most individual Mystery Hunt puzzles don’t get to have.

The structure and themes of A Rope of Chalk are also very tight and good.

5.2. Are there any parts of implementing them that really drove you nuts at the time?

There’s one puzzle in A Rope of Chalk that held up development for months. Possibly years. I just needed there to be one little complication to impede your progress in one particular location, and it needed to have a certain mood, and it needed to involve a certain character, and it needed to mesh with all the themes in the game, and it needed to be perfect. I wrote in my planner over and over again: THIS WILL BE THE WEEK WHEN I FIGURE OUT THIS PUZZLE.

If anyone is interested, the puzzle I’m talking about is the snake puzzle! I needed you to do something with the snake monster, something that kept you from passing through that location before you had seen the rest of that chapter. Something that was appropriately intense for a snake monster.

I think the breakthrough came not when I suddenly came up with a good puzzle, but when I had the idea to present the situation and character in a different way. Then a puzzle idea that had been insufficiently interesting before started to seem much cooler in this new context.

I don’t remember all of this super distinctly so maybe parts of that story are not true. But it’s the kind of thing that happens all the time.

5.3. Which games of yours should I play next?

Well, I strongly believe that everyone should play all of my games. But if you’re on a tight schedule…

• From Wrenlaw, you should go to The Ascent of the Gothic Tower (if you like lonesome, navel-gazey stuff) or A Rope of Chalk.
  • From You’ve Got A Stew Going!, there’s Captain Verdeterre’s Plunder or The Roscovian Palladium.
  • From Taco Fiction, obviously there’s the sequel Dial C for Cupcakes. I think there’s a similar mood in Taleframe’s beloved “Crocodracula” games.
  • From Nautilisia, there’s a very direct line of influence to Ryan Veeder’s Authentic Fly Fishing.

Actually you should definitely play Ryan Veeder’s Authentic Fly Fishing next.

6. What are a few games of other authors that you’ve really admired and why?

Doug Egan’s Afflicted is always the first one to come to mind. The tone and material were very inspiring, but also the approach to implementation: The game really works to simulate a world in a way that extends past the story. In a way, the plot is just one thread that exists sort of incidentally within a broader setting. It keeps making me think about creating experiences outside of the traditional goal of delivering narrative.

And that makes me think about the Entries in Event Two of the Second Quadrennial Ryan Veeder Exposition for Good Interactive Fiction, which I continue to find inspiring even though I kind of demanded them into existence.

I also want to point out Closure by Sarah Willson, which gives me a lot of interesting ideas about parser interaction.

7. My son (12) is quite into computer games so I’m keen to get him into IF - he’s asked me to make him a game featuring the SCP Foundation - any tips for a first time coder?!

Well the stuff I said earlier about “just make the dang thing you want to make” applies. Assuming you’re excited about the SCP idea, I strongly encourage you to make exactly the type of SCP Foundation-oriented game that appeals to you and not worry about whether it’s any good.

This might be just as obvious, but you should know going in that programming is frustrating and impossible and stupid. Nothing ever works. If you approach the project with this attitude, then any time something does work, it’ll be a miracle, and you’ll get to giggle gleefully whenever anything compiles correctly. And when someting doesn’t work (which, again, is 100% of the time) it won’t be so discouraging.

BUT ONE OTHER THING: Make sure you have a plan. If you can, you want to design the whole game, hold it all in your head, before you start writing. This is the first habit of highly effective people, “Begin with the end in mind.”

I remember very distinctly that when I wrote You’ve Got A Stew Going!, I put together all the text and logic for all the stew ingredients in kind of a haphazard “golly this is fun” manner—and when it came time to write the ending I ran into a brick wall, because I had no idea how to check whether you’d found all the ingredients, or what to do if you ate something instead of putting it in the stew, etc.

A similar thing happened with Taco Fiction, where I included enough nonlinearity for the ending to go a few slightly different ways, but I didn’t plan for how I’d check those variables when they all suddenly became relevant. I started writing the ending and suddenly had to do all this research on my own code and draw flow charts.

In both cases, I would have saved myself a lot of grief if my initial outlines had included something along the lines of “In this game you do X, and you can do Y or Y’, and if you do Y then Z happens and if you do Y’ then Z’ happens.” Then when I actually wrote the Y/Y’ choice I’d know to code it in a way that’s easily referenced when the Z/Z’ branch happens.

Of course, when you’re just starting out, it’s hard to know whether you’re doing the thing you would otherwise wish you had done earlier. So, be prepared to be surprised by this, maybe.

6 Likes

This is a great thread. I enjoyed, but have not finished Taco Fiction. Great questions and answers. There is little that delights me more than seeing how the minds of other IF authors work. Since I don’t want to be “more of a comment than a question” guy, I’ll end this sentence with a question mark?

Terrific answers - look forward to playing the recommendations in the coming weeks!

Thanks again…