ArgggHHHH!!!!

Now that’s a weird thing. I did the same thing, and you’re right.

So next I copied the entire code into a new file, and got the same problem I’ve been having: the double room description. I guess that means that somewhere in the code, it’s triggering two descriptions, but dingle-doo if I know how.

I have isolated the code causing the problem, but why it does is still mystery.

I copied my code bit by bit from the start, recompiling as I went along, and everything was fine until I came to the final bit of code, which was:

[code]Part 5 Looking into the Grave

After looking when a room (called Bottom of the Grave) is adjacent:
try examining Bottom of the Grave.

Understand “examine [Bottom of the Grave]” as examining.[/code]

If I leave this out, the program functions just fine.

But I still have the problem of wanting to see into the grave when the character is in the cemetery. Perhaps if I eliminate the problem code and re-establish the “scope” code, I’ll get what I want.

Problem solved. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and help. The game is almost finished, but it would never have gotten this close without you people!

I think possibly you haven’t nailed down exactly what you mean by “wanting to see.”

I can assure you, the code I gave you does NOT print a double room description when copied into a new, empty game. If it’s doing that to you, then you’re not copying it into an empty game. I can’t think of any other possibilities offhand.

The point is this:

The “after deciding the scope of the player” rule allows the player to look at things in the other location, but it doesn’t actually print anything. Conversely, your code in “Part 5 Looking into the Grave” will print something (most likely the other room description) whenever the description of the Cemetery room is printed.

Your Understand rule, BTW, is not necessary. It does nothing.

At the moment this code looks like it’s intended to examine a random adjacent room each turn, but because of the name collision (you’ve given your temporary variable the same name as an actual room in the code) I’m not even sure what it would do. One possibility is that it might ignore the “(called…)” bit and just examine the room called “Bottom of the Grave” every time the player looks, printing its description.

As I’ve said before, for what you’re doing it might make a lot more sense to have the grave be a container. What are your reasons for making it a room?