Spring Thing deadline passed! The games have dropped!

The number of people posting teasers is seriously making me want a “no context spoilers for your Spring Thing game” thread…

(For anyone unfamiliar with the concept, see here for a description.)

10 Likes

Please do! This sounds fun!

6 Likes

Sadly neither of my games will be ready in time. But here’s hoping for IFComp!

11 Likes

Everybody shut up! I’m trying to finish my Spring Thing entry!

10 Likes

…blows in brown paper bag… tiptoes around the table…stands behind Phil’s back… BOOM!

8 Likes
> sip tea
You sip the exquisite cup of green tea. Cherry blossoms fall in the background.
Life is fleeting. If only those noisy barbarians kept peace and quiet.
> get up and wield katana
You get up.
You pick up the katana.
> follow noise
You go to the noisy place the bickering barbarians gathered.
> slice ear
You slice off the ear of a random barbarian, and the noise dies.
> return to pagoda and listen
You return to the pagoda.
You listen. All is quiet once more.
> sit
You sit down again. Life is good.
7 Likes

Games are due in a week!

I’m finished, and have been for a while, but I’m going to run through it at least one more time before submitting it.

9 Likes

The UI/code is ready for me.
Still writing the missing bits. I’d say… 75% done? :crossed_fingers:

8 Likes

Doing the final play-through with my wife. Once that’s done, I’m submitting it.

9 Likes

If I make it, it’ll literally be at the last possible minute.

It still seems feasible, though, so I’m not dropping out yet.

If I fail, I blame this moment in particular

9 Likes

I’m super excited for Spring Thing! I didn’t join the competition — came too late on the scene for that — but this’ll be my first live, concurrent year with it! Super psyched to see everyone’s work — I’ve been going through the Spring Things of past years, and there are some wonderful gems of games in there — and I’ll do my best to play and review as much games as I can.

Wishing everyone doing it the best of luck on completing their entries! :tea: :green_heart: :leaves: Here’s to another great year of Spring Thing! :clinking_glasses:

11 Likes

Thanks! I’ll need all the luck I can get!

8 Likes

Very nearly done, should be getting testers on board by tomorrow night or Wednesday at the latest. My first time actually managing to enter Spring Thing (if nothing goes hideously wrong in the next few days) so very excited for this one!

11 Likes

There’s always ParserComp if you need some more time to shave and polish.

Planning for ParserComp 2023 (2nd Quarter 2023) (intfiction.org)

8 Likes

Mine is done, and it’s shorter than I thought it would be (players complete the game in about half an hour) but I can’t think of anything else I would add to this story without unnecessary padding. One consensus comes from the beta phase: this is a hard game.

It ends with a mild cliffhanger but I would prefer a series of short mystery stories instead of rushing to resolve all the plot threads.

12 Likes

Good call. Better a series of small gems than one big lump of spraypainted coal.

6 Likes

I withdrew. There were those pandemic years where nothing was happening for me and I could just fire off games all the time, and now suddenly I have things like work, and the elder care is getting way more intense. So it looks like I’ll be reviewing and judging instead of biting my nails waiting to be reviewed and judged. Right now that seems like a good deal.

25 Likes

Submitted. Complete with 11pm panic update because I realised I’d uploaded the wrong size cover image! But submitted. Looking forward to this year’s crop :slight_smile:

17 Likes

With only two hours to go, and after calling in sick to work today in my effort to finish, I’m finally calling it; I have to withdraw, it’s simply not complete. It’s 90%, but that’s just not enough. What a brutal disappointment.

Folks who’ve been through this before, what do you do when you get so tantalizingly close to a finished game but it’s just not ready in time for the deadline? Do you save it for another competition or do you just release it on your own?

11 Likes

For what it’s worth, my submission is a beta version of what will be a polished post-comp game. SpringThing seems to be very welcoming of games that are kinda rough around the edges.

There’s no shame in releasing a beta or demo. Happens all the time with visual indie games, at least. You’re not declaring that you won’t work on it ever again or anything, or that it’s the definitive version.

You could also figure out if it would fit well in a future competition, if you’d like. Releasing outside of a comp is a valid option, too, but it might fly slightly under the radar.

9 Likes