Archiving of Competitions, itch.io, and Third Party Sites

Well, I’m trying :slight_smile: @mathbrush saw my prototype.

5 Likes

In fact, this is a significant consideration. If the Community has been supportive in that regard, there’d be more WIP discussed here. I certainly do not wish to share my code here.

I will eventually share my code, but you can bet it’d be the absolute perfection, and just to hedge my bet, maybe share it somewhere else first…

1 Like

I think it could be a valuable feature to have a preservation upload option, where the file will be made public in 50 years, unless the uploader contacts the archive at some point to cancel it. There is probably a category of content that people would like to preserve for posterity without subjecting to contemporary scrutiny, like source codes or design journals or games that they don’t want played/reviewed in their lifetime, etc. Rather reminds me of the Future Library project. Given the IFArchive’s mission to persist indefinitely, this would be an interesting way to attract people to upload directly to the Archive.

6 Likes

I intend to add my game to IFArchive. I’m just not sure about the source code.

3 Likes

The people here are very nice. I am sure everyone would be supportive. I just know my skill is far below just about everyone else that participates here.

5 Likes

The point of making your source code available isn’t to be an educational example of Great Source Code. It’s to help some researcher who comes along in twenty years and wants to know what’s going on inside a particular game.

This is how we use the Infocom source code, after all. Say someone asks “Okay, how did Infocom’s strategy for inventory limits change over the course of their history?” (Which has in fact come up as a question.) This question becomes much easier to tackle with source code available.

8 Likes

The wonderful(?) thing about working in Twine is that if anyone really wants to see my awful code they can. I’ve learned to live with it :woman_shrugging:

10 Likes

For itch.io competitions, I tried to search if there was an easy way to quickly gather all the submissions if they did want to upload them to IF Archive afterwards. It’d have to a part of the competition rules and expectations up front, I agree, and I wouldn’t expect this to be done retroactively, or for any competitions that are currently running.

There’s no plans for DOWNLOAD ALL functionality for jams, according to this tweet https://twitter.com/itchio/status/1063267025261232128?lang=en.

There’s this github python project (GitHub - DragoonAethis/itch-dl: Download all games from a public Itch.io Game Jam), I haven’t tried it, it claims it would be able to bulk download jams.

Otherwise, I suppose you could either have it in the rules that in addition to all entries getting archived (unless they opted out maybe) entrants would have to turn on the download option, and then someone would go and download each game manually. Or they get all entrants to email or Dropbox their games to them.

This is all up to a competition’s organizers if they want to set up these rules and do this, of course.

If that’s how you feel about it, then please provide the source code to your beta testers with instructions to improve your code. That’s done after the beta testing play, of course.

Done this way, you can improve faster than you can on your own.

I am seriously considering it. I am moving on from the Punyinform “Talk Menu”. My next goal is to learn the conversation technique from DM4. So far, I’m on the upside of that learning curve. :wink:

3 Likes