Appearing and disappearing doors!

Alright, so in my previous topic I needed a way to change the descriptions of -everything-. That worked (with the help of you guys! <3)

Now, I’ve stumbled into a situation where one of the rooms ends up having an extra exit after the description changes - however, it’s important that the player doesn’t get a clue of the passage. For instance, when I say:

The fdoor is a locked, openable door, north of the Chamber. The Foyer is north of the fdoor.

and I want to go north, it says:

(first opening fdoor) That's not something you can open.

Yikes, dead giveaway! That should be “You can’t go that way.” or whatever the default message is.
Any thoughts on how to solve this?

You could just write an “instead of going north in the chamber…” statement, but you probably want a more general solution.

You’re getting two messages, so you need two solutions.

For the “that’s not something you can open” error, a simple “before” statement replacing that error message with the default one will do the trick:

Before opening the fdoor: say "You can't go that way." instead.

The (first opening…) message is the result of the rule that tries opening a door before going through it. You need to unlist the rule and, perhaps, replace it with a “try silently” rule that will do the same thing but won’t give you the message. I can’t find the rule in question at the moment, though.

Thanks, but it’s not working too fantastically :<

So, I’ve been thinking about it myself, too~ :slight_smile:

An exit is a kind of door. An exit can be apparent or concealed.

How about something like this? I don’t understand writing rules very well yet though, so if anyone could assist me with this, that’d be absolutely lovely :slight_smile:

You might consider not having the door there at all in the first place and bring it to play only when it actually should appear. The Hidden Items extension might be of help.

Fantastic, thanks a bunch! :smiley:

Have you looked at the extension Secret Doors by Andrew Owen?

Not yet! But although this method works just fine, I’ll have a look.
Maybe it’s even more efficient ^-^