Anyone else having issues with Inform7 not compiling on OS X Big-Sur(m1)

So… I am impatient, and have been secretly harboring a strong desire for an iPad version of inform 7 to arrive before I needed to upgrade… but in the end, I bought a MacBook Pro, it is on the M1 architecture.

So I install inform7 from the App Store, and happily hit to ‘Go!’ button. The screen read ‘compiling from inform 7 to inform 6’ and never changes.

Oh woe is me! :slight_smile:

This was a big part of my vacation plans (much to my wife’s chagrin)…

Anyone else have success with the new M1 MacBooks?

I don’t have one, but I thought it was working.

Have you tried the version listed at Downloads | Inform 7 ? It’s newer than the App Store reease.

No trouble here on an M1 Mac Mini. I second the recommendation to try the “Interim” version from the I7 website (the App Store version shows “4 years ago” as the most recent update).

Hooray! That was it, my spring break is saved!!! Thanks all!

1 Like

Andrew, as you are a preeminent author and very experienced in the use of inform7… I would appreciate your thoughts…

I have a couple of questions for you… I have 2 projects I have been endeavoring on (in my mind). One more than the other…One of my projects stems from the realization that visually impaired people use this medium as it lends itself… so I have been studying London in the 1600s since I lived there for a number of years, and my idea was to not so much have an adventure, but a stroll through the town, London bridge and all. I have been leaning on Pepys diaries, and John Stowe’s survey and others. No real goal, but a somewhat immersive almost museum piece… I just think this might be fun and instructive.

The second I have is a war-game, but from a general’s perspective, where ones choices are based on reports in text of the lay of the land, and the outcomes, whether good or bad from simple instructions to underlings, but there would be a fair amount of math behind the scenes… line of sight, fog of war, etc. It seems that the generals were often basing their commands and reactions on limited information from scouts report and such, making it an ideal strategy based war-game…

Thoughts?