Any opinions of the Creating Interactive Fiction with Inform 7 book?

Hey, I pulled it out to read before bed last night just for fun! (not having been cued by this post.) It sits on my shelf, always glowing.

-Wade

3 Likes

And that, kids, is why you have to be careful what you frotz.

6 Likes

Iā€™d definitely be keen to buy an updated copy.

Thanks for the existing text!

3 Likes

Wow, thatā€™s great news! Would love to have this excellent resource stay alive and updated! :hugs::+1:t2:

2 Likes

I am not a fan of the online documentation. Primarily, it does an extremely poor job of showing several basic examples of each command type, and also just explaining how important concepts diverge from what youā€™d expect in the English language. It has the cookbook but often those examples are much more complicated.

I consider the @aaronius book to be essential if youā€™re really going to dig in to an Inform project. I didnā€™t find the version problems to be a huge difficulty, when compared to Aaronā€™s frankly unique approach to explaining the important part of each conceptual idea and the many pitfalls beginners could waste a tremendous amount of time understanding. I had so many lightbulb moments.

Another resource that may be useful is, I had my own idea for a way to teach Inform 7 with examples Iā€™ve put some work into. Itā€™s VERY incomplete and really only the location and item information is nearly complete, but I think itā€™s worth a look over, as I think it can be very helpful for beginners.

5 Likes

Thank you so much for this! I will start devouring it today!

3 Likes