Announcing The Rosebush IF Magazine

It almost was The Lawnmower

9 Likes

I suggested “disambiguation,” which I admit was a little arcane…

11 Likes

Long ago, I wanted to start an online-only lit mag called “Placemats of the Future.” I had a similar goal, to choose a name that signified little to nothing about the mag. Someday I’ll find a a use for it.

9 Likes

Have you all been conspiring in the shadows or… ? I remember some talk about launching this kind of magazine, but I don’t remember people assembling for real.

Anyway, I hope it’ll work, and I’m looking forward to the first articles!

6 Likes

Just what this community needs: another “secret cabal” conspiracy theory. :rofl:

9 Likes

There was a thread some weeks/months back where this whole idea started, I think it was this one

6 Likes

I basically contacted everyone who volunteered in that thread, then at a second stage we sought some more diversity in terms of communities and gender, and we ended up with the current editorial team. The amount of conspiracy involved is… that we set up a Discord. :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

Are submissions peer-reviewed?

4 Likes

I’ve added this to the giant IF resource links post, so now you’re locked in and cannot fail! :wink:

9 Likes

They’re reviewed by the editors, not by outside people. (So not peer review in the sense of scientific journals.)

3 Likes

I’d also just add that the idea behind editorial review is primarily to make sure articles are a good fit, and, if authors opt into it, a bit of engagement aimed at sharpening and clarifying arguments (authors can also say they don’t want any part of that and then we’ll just do proofreading and such in the editing pass). But it’s not really a peer-review approach as I understand it’s practiced in scientific journals!

5 Likes

Will the articles appear on Planet IF?

4 Likes

We’ve got that on our to do list!

4 Likes

The place is lousy with them; why I just started yet another one just last week! :wink:

Here’s to hoping this cabal in particular succeeds in its dastardly designs!

6 Likes

I was rereading your website and I didn’t see any guidelines. What sort of word count is RB looking for? I would imagine they likely don’t have a cap, being digital and releasing one article at a time, but I would suspect some sort of minimum word count is desired.

4 Likes

Check out our submission guidelines - the short answer is 1500+ words as a minimum, with no cap though I expect we might want to talk about breaking up like 40k word magnum opuses into multiple installments!

6 Likes

[Facepalms]

6 Likes

Ahem… sorry. That’s a different reference. → Rosebush

7 Likes

To be honest, I did have Citizen Kane’s Rosebud in the back of my mind when I came up with The Rosebush as an example of a name without special significance. :smile:

7 Likes

I’m not very pleased with the name. But who cares for the name? I absolutely love the idea. If I understand it correctly it’s a sort of bridge over the complete IF scene.

1 Like