Technical
1st place - Oppositely Opal
2nd place - Delphina’s House
3rd place - Chlorophyll

Overall
1st place - Chlorophyll
2nd place - Oppositely Opal
3rd place - Delphina’s House

A sincere thank you to everyone who entered this competition. I was deeply impressed by your enthusiasm, creativity, and skill, and by the sheer variety of the games you produced.

I’d also like to thank the amazing volunteer judges and reviewers. This competition was successful because of you. (Trivia: Combining all the games, over 26,000 words of feedback were submitted via the judging form!)

Congratulations, all; and much appreciation, Carolyn, for all your hard work on this.

Thanks for holding this! I wasn’t able to enter, but being able to test the top 3 games made me feel cool. They did most of the work, but yeah. It gave me that much more cheering interest for the final results (note to prospective testers: testing even one game does get you more involved in a comp. I still remember working with Leadlight,) but I think it’s safe to say I enjoyed the other games, too.

None of these games need post-comp releases, but I hope authors take the time to do so, if only to leave their games out there for someone who might’ve missed them otherwise, and to nail down the things they may feel a bit upset they missed.

Yay! Thanks Carolyn for the excellent job organizing the comp! And to all the other entrants who made games, and to the judges who took the time to play and vote, and the reviewers who gave great feedback and made the voting period more exciting. Long live the parser!

Also, congrats to Steph for besting my own entry and taking the number one spot! Chlorophyll was a joy to play and to compete against. We might have to rematch next year [emote];)[/emote] (if Carolyn’s up for it anyway)

Great contest! As others have said, thanks so much for organizing the contest Carolyn. Thanks to all the entrants for producing such entertaining, high quality works. And congrats to the winners!

And at last I can post version 2 of Terminator Chaser, and a postmortem!

Thanks all entrants and thanks Carolyn for the awesome job AND the overbal idea. I hope this is just the first installment in a very long tradition.

Thanks for having the contest! It was a lot of fun and I’m looking forward to next year, too. It was such a blast to have a theme to write on! Busterwrites, I look forward to seeing what you do next year too, I really enjoyed playing Oppositely Opal!

Thankyou so much for running this contest, Carolyn! It was fun to learn Inform7 from scratch and make an IF! I feel like I did an okay job for a first try, and all the feedback is super-helpful for me to make improvements to this project (version 2 should be done soon), and for future ones. Hopefully next year I’ll improve enough to do better!

Congratulations to the winners! You all definitely earned your places [emote]:)[/emote]

Congratulations to everyone and thanks to Carolyn and all the voters! Hamish, for a first effort that was damn impressive.

I’d like to be able to do a post-comp release of Terminator but I may have to see if my code flies apart sproing when I fix the bugs. Also I need to think what features need to be added. Also time. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know!

Thanks for taking the trouble to set the whole thing up, Carolyn! It was definitely a learning experience.

Thanks Carolyn, and all the authors, testers, reviewers, and judges! I had a blast playing the games and reading reviews.

Is there any plan to formally reveal pseudonyms (for those who want to be revealed)? If not, I invite authors to reveal them here…

Sure, I’m Owen Parks, and A Long Drink was my first attempt at a game. I hope to polish out all the issues and re-release later on. Rambly post-mortem here.

Congratulations to the winners of this competition and everyone who took part! We saw some brilliant efforts in this competition, such as Chlorophyll and Oppositely Opal! Hope to see a comp as great as this one happening again next year! [emote]:D[/emote]

Thank you to all who played my game, Delphina’s House! The feedback has been very helpful, both the positive comments and the suggestions, and I’m so glad players seemed to have fun with it.

I’m planning a post-comp release to fix bugs, clarify some things that confused people, and revisit some of the text, so please feel free to get in touch if you have any bug reports, transcripts, or comments (on anything, technical or aesthetic) that you want to pass along. (Especially if you ran into a game-stopping bug. In the competition feedback there was a report of the game crashing when you examine the lock, but so far I have not been able to reproduce this.)

And as others have said, thanks to everyone who made ParserComp possible: entrants, testers, judges, reviewers, and especially to Carolyn for organizing it all!

A reminder: theoryclub will be doing a post-ParserComp debrief today on ifMUD at noon Pacific / 3 PM Eastern / 7 PM UK.

Where would I go to see it? I looked at the site (or what I thought was the site) but I didn’t see anything like that… it looked like mostly it’s about a kind of…game I think? Which sounded from the description like a sort of text adventure crossed with an MMO. Do you have to go inside the game to read it? I am very curious because I am a relentless hound for attention and I’m like OOH IS SOMEONE TALKING ABOUT MY GAME MAYBE

Are you asking about the post-ParserComp debrief? The transcript is at emshort.wordpress.com/if-discus … ostmortem/

Yeah, that’s it! Thank you! Is this open to everybody? I would love to participate in it, although I’m still a little confused about what ‘IfMUD’ is – is it just a group chat thing? Or are you chatting in a ‘room’ that’s inside an MMO-style game, which is what parts of the site seem to indicate? (and if so, what’s the game about? an actual world, or more of a cooperative mishmash like Second Life?)

‘Second Life but as parser IF’ is not a bad approximation of the design, although ‘group chat-room with a lot of accumulated features’ is closer to its actual usage. Mostly people hang out in one location and talk on channels.