Announcing ECTOCOMP 2019!

Hi people,

It is a pleasure to announce that ECTOCOMP 2019 is live in an alpha state. Right now we don’t have even a banner, and the itchio page is probably ugly and with some (a lot) grammar problems. Even, I don’t know if the intro text is good enough or if it is crap, so, lend us a hand!

Also, this year, we have a new feature. Last year we said that we could improve the diversity of topics and ambiances if we look at the roots of each festivity. Traditionally ECTOCOMP has been about Halloween and spooky games, but there’s more to it in those days than trick or treat and scares. If we look at the international festivities, there a wide range of traditions and customs. This new feature seeks to motivate authors to look beyond usual, but… if what you want is just pure Halloween stuff and terror, you are welcome too. Tell us what you think.

Now, for newcomers and hallows’ heads, a reminder:

Ectocomp is about doing games during the whole of October (you can start now if you want), and the deadline is 31 October (not included), so the games are ready to play for the festivities.

Also, there are two categories: La petite mort, for games done in less than 4 hours. And Le Grand Guignol, for games done in more than 4 hours.
And you can send games in English and Spanish, just use the proper itchio jam page for it.

That’s all, we will make several reminders as the date indicated arrives. And please, read the official page for more information.

Regards!

4 Likes

Sounds great! In the past, there has been wording that Ectocomp entries didn’t have to be spooky or Halloween-themed specifically and it could be generally about Autumn seasonal festivities of all types (Thanksgiving?) but mostly everyone is ready to unleash the horror at this time of year, especially post IFComp.

2 Likes

I forgot to add the url? YEAH I FORGOT, ok not it is fixed, join today!

1 Like

I’ll be doing dessert reviews again this year. Thanks for organising the comp!

1 Like

That’s[quote=“HanonO, post:2, topic:42361, full:true”]
In the past, there has been wording that Ectocomp entries didn’t have to be spooky or Halloween-themed specifically and it could be generally about Autumn seasonal festivities of all types (Thanksgiving?) but mostly everyone is ready to unleash the horror at this time of year, especially post IFComp.
[/quote]

Probably. Also, it is nice to have that mention about Autumn Festivities and maybe is more elegant than the current scheme. I will leave that open form some time, and see how it goes. Opinions welcome.

Anyway, I think it is worth stating that yes, that other Autumn festivities are very welcome, stating that, explicitly.

1 Like

Also, @joshg is on board, this year he is busier, but we are co-organising this. Also, special accolades to Jason Guest. we climb on his shoulders regards organizing the ECTOCOMP.

2 Likes

I think the discussion you’re remembering was actually about whether the games needed to be specifically about Hallowe’en itself, or whether they could simply be horror or ghost stories not necessarily set on that particular date. My response at the time was that the latter interpretation was how I saw the competition. But it’s Ruber and Josh’s call now.

1 Like

Definitively that’s the aim of the new feature, to cover Hallows’, ghostly, horror and beyond. To give authors explicitly permission to do that.

If someone feels the new feature don’t contributes to that, I’m open to hear it. Or if someone has any idea to improve the thing.

1 Like

That’s probably more correct - whether the games could be autumnally-themed rather than specifically Halloween and horror.

Hey people, there are little days for IFComp and the start of ECTOCOMP. Are you excited yet?

And now?

Behold The Purple Queen! Protagonist of this year competition.

3 Likes