Announcing a new set of Interactive Fiction Awards

I did miss that! That has an effect on my opinion and I will reconsider my position.

1 Like

Thatā€™s not strictly right for Hugo. I vote in the Hugo awards most years. I can only do so by buying a membership of the relevant Worldcon. Either a supporting long distance membership or attending. There is a cost.

2 Likes

Someone with at least mild artistic skills (which may be me after this next year!) designs the stickers referencing the winners of last yearā€™s awards.

3 Likes

I think I agree with Dee, my preference would be no rules that mentions campaigning along with a tacit understanding that too much banging your own drum is frowned upon.

7 Likes

It seems like there is some tentative interest in forming a DIFAGAPE, ā€œDistinguished Interactive Fiction Authorā€™s Guild for the Acknowledgement and Promotion of Excellence.ā€

As I understand the premise, it sounds like itā€™s not just ā€œIF Authorsā€ who would be eligible, but a selected panel of judges, raising questions about how exactly judges would be selected.

I can imagine a few approaches to this.

1. The competition organizer could privately select people. (This puts a lot of burden on the organizer. Recall that at one time, Sam was in the habit of selecting people to blog about XYZZY nominees, and even that was a challenge.)
  2. The judges could be the Top N reviewers on IFDB for that calendar year.
  3. The judges might be elected. They would presumably present themselves for election, run a campaign, and top vote getters would be judges. (Butā€¦ who would be allowed to vote for judges?)
  4. The judges could be authors who have received an honor for their IF. (Top N% IFComp, XYZZY Nominee, Spring Thing Best In Show)

I find the idea of running a competition where the judges are the Top N IFDB reviewers in a given year particularly compelling!

5 Likes

That actually could be a kinda neat way of incentivizing people to write reviews (though might need to be top reviewers of games published in the year, vs reviews written in the year? There are a bunch of folks who write reviews of older titles, which is awesome but may or may not be a good fit for this purpose). You could do a traditional compile-the-votes-and-announce-a-winner thing, or with a manageable number of judges you could actually structure it as a roundtable conversation which I think would be pretty fun.

3 Likes

Is there? I thought that everyone was kidding about that.

The IFDB reviewers idea does sound interesting, though.

3 Likes

Agreed. Of course, ā€œplease only vote for games you have playedā€ is always a community norm that operates on the honor system rather than an enforceable ruleā€”if I wanted to vote in the XYZZYs by picking game titles out of a hat or rate IFComp entries based on how aesthetically pleasing the authorsā€™ names are, nobody would ever know. But I think itā€™s worth encouraging nonetheless.

6 Likes

It seems to me that thereā€™s a lot more agreement on ā€˜Voting should be in good faith and should represent personal experience with the game involvedā€™ and ā€˜Promoting good faith voting is allowed and encouraged, while soliciting bad-faith votes or votes for a game from those who havenā€™t tried it is prohibitedā€™. Maybe Iā€™ll withdraw my current suggestion and add those instead.

A lot of time, the people who really ought to speak out (for instance, about a small non-comp game released early in the year) are often scared of breaking rules by doing so, while the people who want to bend the rules will often bend them regardless. Another problem that comes up is people who say ā€˜I want to vote but I only played one gameā€™; I think that should be okay!

6 Likes

One of the initial goals @mathbrush identified for the Peopleā€™s Choice awards was to allow campaigning, because advertising ā€œcould help draw more people into the community, and would especially help games that touch on the popular market more than most IF.ā€

It seems like folks are not too enthusiastic about open campaigning, but I wonder if thereā€™s a way to recapture the original goal of expanding the community.

I think it should be possible to have a Peopleā€™s Choice award that permits advertising, but not campaigning, by requiring voters to (claim to) have played multiple games in each category. If Iā€™m right, this would help to expand the community without undermining the competition.

CoG doesnā€™t advertise XYZZY voting today

Ever since 2012 when CoG voters flooded the XYZZY ballot box, we have avoided blogging about or discussing the XYZZY awards while voting is still underway. We now only blog about XYZZYs after voting is over, to congratulate winners.

If we were to blog, ā€œhey, XYZZY first round is open for nominations,ā€ I anticipate the nominations would be full of nothing but CoG games. (Weā€™re so much bigger now than we were in 2012!)

But Iā€™d love to at least be able to say in the second round, ā€œhey, please play all of the XYZZY finalists and vote for your favorite!ā€ That would allow me to direct our players to the wider world of IF, and get them playing games that they might not have otherwise played.

How it might work

For example, suppose the Peopleā€™s Choice competition had a ranked-choice voting system (or score voting, like IFComp), but voters are only allowed to vote for games that they claim to have played. If a player shows up having only played one game in the category, they wouldnā€™t be able to vote for it; they couldnā€™t honestly claim that the game was better than any of the other games in the category.

And if, out of fandom for one particular game, potential voters forced themselves to play other works of IF, just to familiarize themselves with the competition, and then turned out to enjoy them, well, thatā€™s exactly what weā€™d want, isnā€™t it?

The rules would still say that campaigning was forbidden, but encouraging players to try the alternatives and vote for their favorite would be encouraged.

Some people would cheat (but not that many, and theyā€™d be caught)

Now, certainly, some people would cheat, and claim that theyā€™d played all of the nominees and hated everything except their favorite game.

But with clear messaging on the vote submission form, that would be clearly voting in bad faith.

The problem in 2012 is that CoGā€™s voters didnā€™t think, ā€œhaha, Iā€™m helping Zombie Exodus cheat to win this competition,ā€ they were thinking, ā€œoh, Iā€™m supporting Zombie Exodus in an open competition; Iā€™m sure everyone else is behaving the same way I am.ā€

With clear rules about how to advertise the competition (ā€œDonā€™t say ā€˜vote for meā€™, but DO say, 'try all the nominees and vote for your favoriteā€) I think most voters would do the right thing.

And cheat detection will be required in any case, and with score voting in particular, I think it can be really obvious if someone rates one game a 10 and gives all of the other nominees a 1, especially in multiple categories.

5 Likes

Sorry to cause a bit of a stir. To clarify, I donā€™t think the concept of promoting or being excited about peopleā€™s games, even if - or purposely to - sway the opinion of others is inherently bad. I just think the ā€œcampaigningā€ thing turned me off, especially in terms of the author campaigning for an award just because they submitted to a separate competition.

It felt like, what if I was volun-told to start a political campaign to elect myself to city council because I published a well-written news article? I could just ignore the campaign and lose the election but Iā€™d still feel crummy - not because of losing, but because I didnā€™t really want to run in the first place but had no choice in being considered (and not popular enough).

I think that just, not making campaigning a core part or framing of the awards, but not banning it (or at least promo/enthusiasm) entirely, is fine for me.

3 Likes

I was only half-kidding, tbh. Yā€™all must suffer from severe imposter syndrome or hardcore incurable humility.

There already is a DIFAGAPE in everything but name.

I hadnā€™t yet broached the topic, but whatā€™s missing more than ā€œsomething like the HUGOā€™sā€ is ā€œsomething like the Rock & Roll Hall of Fameā€ instead.

We need some lifetime achievement awards around here, preferably before some of those lives naturally end.

3 Likes

Um. As opposed toā€¦?

2 Likes

Before they press the blue button instead of the red button and make the game unwinnable, obviously.

1 Like

Damned if I do, damned if I donā€™t.

If I omitted ā€˜naturallyā€™ someone would have suggested I might be getting all serial killer-y with IF luminaries. (Which I am not, for the record.)

Iā€™m just pointing out itā€™s nice to give significant lifelong recognition when the recipient is still alive to receive it.

As far as Iā€™m aware, none of you are roommates with the Grail Knight from the Temple of the Sun.

2 Likes

Is it me, or is this getting way too complicated?

Now, before you begin voting, will those of you who are playing in the match this afternoon move your reviews down onto the lower peg immediately after lunch, before you write your letter home, if youā€™re not getting your hair cut, unless youā€™ve got a younger brother who is going out this weekend as the guest of another boy, in which case, collect his note before lunch, put it in your letter after youā€™ve had your hair cut, and make sure he moves your review down onto the lower peg for you.

Can you elaborate? I wouldnā€™t have said that ā€œplease play all the finalists in a category before voting on that categoryā€ was particularly complicatedā€¦ and the rest of that message is just backstory/rationale.

Sure. Suddenly there are ā€œfinalistsā€, which means there are voting rounds. ā€œplease play all the finalists in a categoryā€ is just the rule for the final round. There are other different rules for the other rounds, or are these ā€œnominationsā€?

Also,

I think it should be possible to have a Peopleā€™s Choice award that permits advertising, but not campaigning, by requiring voters to (claim to) have played multiple games in each category

If this is simple, can you explain how claiming to have played multiple games in each category permits advertising but not campaigning?

3 Likes

Ah, sorry, I shouldnā€™t have put ā€œfinalistsā€ in there; that part of Danā€™s message was clearly about the second round of the XYZZYs, not the potential new awards.

The issue in 2012 was that the much much larger Choice of Games community voted in XYZZY for the game they knew and loved without having any idea that there was any reason to have played any of the others. Which turned it into a straight popularity contest with a foregone conclusion that the much bigger community would ā€œwinā€.

Putting the ā€œplease play several games in a category and choose your favoriteā€ in the award itself tries to mitigate that, and take (some of) the responsibility off authors to make sure that their fans know to try other games.

Iā€™m not sure how well it would work. But Iā€™m also skeptical whether anything would allow mixing communities of such different sizes with legitimately different tastes, without one overwhelming the other.

But if the awards are as much about drawing people into the community as about choosing which games this tiny community thinks are the most interestingā€¦ then itā€™d be an interesting experiment. And Iā€™m pretty much an ā€œall awards are made up and donā€™t mean anythingā€ kind of person, so Iā€™m all for doing weird experiments with them, but thatā€™s probably an outlier opinion.

8 Likes

I agree. Iā€™m not trying to argue whether itā€™s really too complicated or not, but my feeling is that the rules should be simple.

Perhaps itā€™s a bit like game design. Try to keep things simple and still work. :slight_smile:

2 Likes