Announce: the 2023 Spring Thing Festival!

how he has handled the renaming ? there’s the infamous @ (save-and replace) bug, described here by the late paul panks.

Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.

2 Likes

Oof… the responses on that thread are harsh.

1 Like

As a C64 owner in Britain I’m just amused at the references to Commodore drives. I did eventually get a disk drive for my C64. But that was unusual in the 1980s in Britain. More typically people were using cassette tapes to load and save games and data. Now that really means a long wait! And also meant many people couldn’t run e.g. Infocom games, though they could Level 9 etc.

3 Likes

Is there any chance that IFTF will help with this in future? Or is there any way outside people can help with the funding? Because I’d personally be happy to chip in with a small amount to any fund raising for it. It’s too good a competition to lose. And I hope to enter again one day :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

7 Likes

I would like that very much. Your history-perspective on adventuring is very interesting, both for the duration of the game and for the (considerably longer) time I spend looking up the period, locale and personages you write about.

(Excruciating contortionist conversational twists and tricks are needed to bring up John Napier as a topic, but I persist despite the weird looks I get from my friends. Fortunately they already know me. Taking a detour via Newton usually eases the transition, but not by much.)

5 Likes

I haven’t been in contact with iftf about it, but I’d like to in the long run. I feel like IFTF needs a little time to grow and reset while it digests its latest acquisitions. At the beginning with IFComp, ifarchive and ifdb, there were a lot of volunteers, but I think the current pool of available people is spread pretty thin. I’d love to see iftf get more people involved and then have spring thing absorbed in like 2025 or 2026.

For right now, though, if someone would like to be a low-effort volunteer for spring thing and serve as a financier (literally just handling any donations and paying the bill for higher storage once a month, probably < 5 hours work a year), I’d be happy to talk.

5 Likes

With the end of the festival coming up next week I wanted to say thanks for all those who have participated in any fashion, whether writing, testing, playing, judging, or reviewing!

I will be out of town and in the mountains, unable to receive communications, from the 10th to the 12th of next week. This is a long planned trip and is the main reason for the change in dates from previous years. I will read all missed email on the 13th however.

Good luck to everyone!

16 Likes