Andromeda Legacy Comp 2013 - The Verdicts

Congratulations go to Jim on a well deserved win. And I look forward to seeing what others come up with in the months and years to come!

Yes, congratulations, Jim. Good work, Joey. Both of you should have my transcripts already, at least the ones that I didn’t lose when my hard drive crashed.

I’m excited about this “franchise” that Marco made up and that we’ve had the amazing opportunity to share. I love space opera television shows, and I suppose this is the closest I’ll ever have to being able to step behind the scenes of the crafting of such wonderfully epic stories. I want to see this go further.

Please do release, now that the comp is over. I’ll review it. No pressure, though; I certainly understand if you don’t feel like going back to it right now. The prospect of debugging Tree and Star is so daunting that I doubt I will ever be able to get it done. [emote];)[/emote]

That sounds intriguing! There are several isolated plot threads that have been left open, I think. They seem to contradict, or at least not to fit together, but I think finding a way to make them fit together will create something truly awesome. That’s how great stories are synthesized.

I agree–a year 3 would be cool. Sorry to read about your hard drive. Hope you backed up the critical stuff.

Yeah, it is so easy to plan what you want to fix, but then getting into the details of the bugs or features is hairy. And the problem is, the more you “see,” the more there is to fix–and if you find something you feel is fundamentally wrong, it can become a sort of elephant in the room, even if you love the new stuff.

One big thing that I let bring me down was that I came up with stuff I really liked, but it might be more relevant to the non-Andromeda universe. So I’m on the fence what to do about that. Plus, potentially too much autobiography. The thing is, I’m not a sci-fi fan and have no desire to be an author, so while the individuality of the game is not in question, there is a question as to whether I’m forcing it in.

But I don’t know if I’ll have the time, since I have some post-comp releases I’m (still) working on, as well as a potential IFComp 2013 entry. It would be neat to do something outside of AAComp.

I still got tons of ideas out of this, though.

Also, because replying to yourself is cool, (and because this is an entirely different issue…)

Jim and Joey, does either of you have a problem with me putting stuff up on IFDB? I know you are both making tweaks, but it’d also be neat to be able to have the people see the polished games first. I’d be glad to do the busy work. The game pages could link to Marco’s post on page 1.

Wow! Thanks, guys!

I don’t have an epic “thank-you” post in me - not one like Marco wrote for last year’s IfComp, anyway.

I’d like to thank Marco, though, for sponsoring the comp, and Wade and Blainespal for judging.

I owe a great deal to Joey and Andrew, as well. Without their encouragement and help throughout the months before the comp, the game would have been in far worse shape.

I suppose I can use this post to submit just ONE “rebuttal” to the critique of the maze. I knew that mazes were not an incredibly popular game feature, and haven’t been for thirty years or so now. BUT… in my defense, there is a way to skip the maze entirely. I thought, as I wrote the game, that most people would end up skipping it. If you didn’t skip it, it’s not because you missed a puzzle or anything… you were just a little more brusque in your treatment of Rici than I thought you would be. [emote]:)[/emote]

But… thanks again to everyone involved. I had a great time writing the game, and I hope that you had at least a good time playing it. Hopefully you at least smiled once or twice. I mean… there were Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis AND “Get Smart” references… and that was just one conversation! (I am inordinately pleased with myself with that conversation tree. I think I actually made MYSELF laugh as I was writing those.)

Anyway, thanks again, for the third time.
-Jim

PS: Andrew - I have no problem with you putting stuff up on IFDB. I’ve never actually done that - so it would be a great help to me, in all honesty.

Congrats again, Jim. I’d love to look through again and see the references.

I linked your game on IFDB. I’ll wait for Joey’s since I know he wants to tweak it. IFDB is neat since you can make your own author page and possibly make a better summary than my (hurried) one. But I think/hope I did the heavy lifting to get the game registered.

ifdb.tads.org

ifdb.tads.org/viewgame?id=fspg9feojrfbh9rn

No, it was just my spare Linux desktop, and I didn’t lose anything irreplaceable, other than a couple transcripts.

facepalm That explains it!

Oh, there’s a maze?

( [emote];)[/emote] )