And so the Dead Line came to pass

It’s 3 PM where I am, and this is the Spring I’m having at the moment:

Good luck and have fun, everyone!

10 Likes

Looks charming - where is it exactly?

3 Likes

I feel you. Not doing much better here.

7 Likes

I’m on a mountain trip with friends, in southern Poland (the exact mountain we were climbing is called Pilsko).

Just to be clear, I’m really enjoying it, snow and all!

5 Likes

I’ll swap your crisp, white snow for a bucketful of persistent British drizzle if you like?

2 Likes

Is neither an option?

2 Likes

It hasn’t really rained here in central Texas since October (drought all the time here now), and we’ll happily take some of your British drizzle. We don’t have any wildflowers this year. :frowning:

3 Likes

I’m so sorry to hear that. If I could send you our drizzle, I certainly would! (Sounds like a wonderful entrepreneurial opportunity for one more enterprising than I).

1 Like

It appears I’ve received your drizzle; slightly chilled:

1 Like

Congrats people! :partying_face:

I suppose I should tell y’all that I did finish my game in time. Holy CRAP, I didn’t think it would happen!!! But it got done by some miracle. As I cannot makes games the ways I used to, I wasn’t sure. But it did, thank goodness.

I’m not gonna spoil what it became from the idea I put in the earlier thread, but this is probably gonna be a very . . . weird public reception. I say that to myself every time but ESPECIALLY for this one, like 20x more so. Take that how you will.

All I will say are the basic details:

Title: A Single Ouroboros Scale

Synopsis: Algie was a Twine developer. Now he’s gone, but one of his online remnants is in your hands.
(One last game, for now or forever. Time will decide which one.)

Author’s Note: “A desperate game. There’s a more detailed Author’s Note along with Content Warnings in the game proper. I hope this does something good.”

– Bez (he/they) :transgender_flag: :keyboard: :fountain_pen: :transgender_symbol: :pencil2: :open_book: :transgender_flag:

5 Likes

3 posts were split to a new topic: Australian Terror [j/k, sorta?]

A lot of Twine games have a habit of showing you just one option, which then moves the story on. Having to move the mouse and click on it is a bit annoying. Is there some way to make pressing a key (like spacebar) work in these circumstances?

1 Like

It’s possible, but I don’t think it’s built into Twine out of the box. I know Sugarcube has macros that can enable keyboard input, but the author has to plan for it.

2 Likes

The games are up – all 47 of them!

10 Likes

47 games! Truly an embarrassment of riches this year :grinning:

6 Likes

I did this in my game with the cont keypress macro. I’ll DM you an example because I can’t figure out how to post code here and it uses Sugarcube’s carrots, which this forum deletes!
edit: it’s also deleting them from my DM, lol. could someone remind me how to format code snippets?

1 Like

You want to select the code and then press this button:

2 Likes

Oh, so the game has to support it. It’s not a player-side thing?

2 Likes

Oh I misunderstood! Yup, as far as I know you have to code it in. Although if you want to go the keyboard route you should be able to hit Tab to highlight the passage link and Enter to select it.

Here’s the way to code it if anyone is curious (thanks Nils!):

<<cont keypress>><<goto 'passage'>><</cont>>

Unfortunately there will be no line in Twine connecting the two passages, so you’ve got to be diligent about placing them in such a way that you can clearly see how players move through it… and making sure you test for link breakage.

1 Like

In most Twine games, you can use tab-selection if you’re playing in a browser - press Tab and it will highlight the next element (link or button) on the page. This works for normal websites, too - it’s how screen readers work, basically.

Some Twine games do funky things with their formatting or have popin which makes this not work. I don’t like those games.

2 Likes