ALL MY CODE VANISHED WHAT THE $&@%!

Oh, well. So much for my 15 seconds of fame. I was unconsciously quoting something I had heard somewhere.

Still, that was a pretty sweet Lexicon rack-mount effects processor. I don’t even remember the model number…

Yes, armed with a suitably modified 1541 you can write out D64 disk images that emulators can use. Armed with the right tools (http://c64preservation.com/dp.php?pg=nibtools) you can even read a lot of copy-protected disks to G64 disk images.

I’ve never seen Red Dawn, but I saw an article recently about how it was a cult favorite for a generation of commie-haters.

I think Aaron Reed had a similar mishap loosing much of his source code while working on a large project. I am pretty paranoid, so I save the entire source code every day I make changes to a new file with a different name (the date appended) and then I routinely post that on Box.com and to a separate hard disk every few days I’m active on the project. (Which sadly is not that often right now.) Even a few days lost work would be a major headache.
–Zack
z-machine-matter.com

Time Machine?

There is a sequence/combination of keystrokes when writing code in Inform7(Windows) which deletes the entire file (story.ni). Unfortunately, as I am a quick typist I cannot say what keys I actually hit which did this.

Control-A followed by DEL?

P.S. I use SpiderOak to back up my work, not Dropbox. Anyone who works for Dropbox can view any of my files if they wish and I’m uncomfortable with that because I don’t know them. With SpiderOak, you are the only one with a decryption key. Do you really feel comfortable giving a snoop key on your crucial data to a bunch of perfect strangers (many of whom are programmers) and trusting them simply because they work for a corporation? Do you believe that corporations set serious internal standards to protect your privacy and then monitor their employees to make sure those standards aren’t routinely ignored? That is quite a naive assumption in the modern world.

Some do. Some don’t. If you assume the entire world is corrupt, then they’ve already installed keyboard loggers on your computer and spy cameras in your oatmeal, so you have no privacy anyhow.

I don’t think you are really getting what it means to be a skeptic. It doesn’t mean that I just believe in some opposite zero-evidence anti-corporate myth from Bizarro world, instead. It means that I see no reason to trust any corporation a priori. Of course I do not assume the whole world is corrupt. I don’t generally assume individuals are corrupt. (And clearly I like SpiderOak, for example.) However the majority of corporate business is clearly corrupt; I think any adult who is paying the slightest attention on this planet should be able to perceive that. One would have to swallow a lot of flimsy, baseless mythmaking (admittedly not in short supply) and acquire a habit of averting one’s gaze in order to believe anything else at this point in our history.

Further, Dropbox has already been caught in public lies about their security setup. They claimed they didn’t keep the keys so their employees couldn’t use them or secretly turn your data over to the government when in fact they do and they have. Their solution to this PR disaster was to rewrite their privacy policy claims to match their weak security model instead of fixing anything about that model. I rest my case. 8)

So how about this: you can consider us all thankful that you have opened our previously closed eyes to the evil nature of corporations and DropBox in particular. Then this part of the discussion can end and people can just do what they want to do but you can rest assured that you will not fall victim to the ills that others may.

(1) Privacy is obsolete.

(2) Sensible precautions are wise.

(3) If you think anyone who works at Dropbox cares about your IF source code…

There are things I would never put on Dropbox, precisely because it isn’t private. (I’ll leave it up to you to imagine what those things might be.) OTOH, I routinely generate large files that I need to share with other musicians, and the Dropbox public folder totally rocks for that purpose.

As opposed to? What else did you think was going to happen here?

I went through most of my 20s and 30s without a driver’s license. Then I took driving lessons again and got a new license. When I took the test, I got nervous about parallel parking and started stressing out. The instructor giving the test said this to me:

“It’s not going to be perfect. Nothing is perfect. This whole world is corrupt!”