Alabaster released

The Queen has told you to return with her heart in a box. Snow White has made you promise to make other arrangements. Now that you’re alone in the forest, it’s hard to know which of the two women to trust. The Queen is certainly a witch — but her stepdaughter may be something even more horrible…

There are some eighteen possible endings to this fairy tale.

Some of them are even almost happy.

Alabaster is a fractured fairy tale by John Cater, Rob Dubbin, Eric Eve, Elizabeth Heller, Jayzee, Kazuki Mishima, Sarah Morayati, Mark Musante, Emily Short, Adam Thornton, and Ziv Wities.
Illustrated by Daniel Allington-Krzysztofiak.

Available now from emshort.home.mindspring.com/Alabaster/index.html

Please note – as the site also points out – that you’ll want the latest available Glulx interpreter to play. That’s Git 1.2.4 for Windows, Zoom 1.1.4 for Mac. Alabaster is processing-intensive and makes use of the latest Inform optimizations.

1 Like

again with the fairytale? sigh :wink:

seriously though, I bet it will show technical prowess if not an interesting setting…

Maybe it’s because I’m not a hardcore gamer who has seen everything that comes down the pike, but I actually thought it was a super cool idea.

I love the idea of the possibly untrustworthy Snow White and the multiple endings.

Just because modern interpretations of fairy tales are typically trite and cliche, that doesn’t mean that the old masters of the form didn’t produce works that were bold, imaginative and uncompromising.

Any attempt to recapture/subvert that is good in my book.

1 Like

Is the source code still available somewhere? IFDB link is dead. Thanks!

Looks like the Wayback Machine’s got it.

Ah, Archive.org, should have thought of that in the first place. Thanks!

Also https://ifarchive.org/if-archive/games/source/inform/Alabaster.zip

1 Like

You know, it’s been a while. We should make another one like this. The CB extension still has that same functionality.

1 Like

Oh, great! I went ahead and updated the IFDB link to make it easier to find.

1 Like