After asking an actor to try doing something

So, if you’re asking a character to try doing something, Before and Instead rules work fine. After rules, however, I can’t seem to trigger.

[code]startroom is a room.

Harold is a man in startroom.

Persuasion rule for asking someone to try waiting: rule succeeds.

After asking a person (called instructee) to try waiting: say “[instructee] looks distinctly bored.”[/code]
But if you turn on action listing, the asking-Harold-to-try-waiting rule succeeds, and I don’t see any other rules that would interfere. What’s going on here?

At some point (not exactly sure where) the asking action changes into the action that is requested, i.e. the “Harold waiting” action, and the asking action stops. This works:

After a person (called instructee) waiting: say "[instructee] looks distinctly bored."

Thanks. And that also works with kinds of action, although the right phrasing messes up the natural-languageyness:

[code]startroom is a room.

Harold is a man in startroom.

Persuasion rule for asking someone to try waiting: rule succeeds.

Waiting is tedious behaviour. Taking inventory is tedious behaviour.

After an actor tedious behaviour: say “[actor] looks distinctly bored.”[/code]

edit: but of course it also works when the player waits. Though that’s easily avoided.

We seem to have coalesced around “behaving tediously”, rather than “tedious behavior”, as the comfortable way to phrase kinds-of-action.