Advent of Code 2019

Advent of Code is a yearly event where you’re given a daily challenge to complete in any programming language of your choice. It’s a great thing if you want to learn a new language, or to just practice in one you’ve learnt before.

It’s not too late to start, and I’m catching up on the first few days right now.

https://adventofcode.com/

Anyone interested in joining me this year? I’ve seen some people here say they’d be interested in learning more Javascript, so if that’s you I can give hints for the challenges. Or for Inform if you’d like to try the challenges in that, which would indeed be a little more of a challenge than in a general purpose language!

I’ve made a private leaderboard: if anyone wants to join the code is 506652-6ec99af4. You enter it on this page.

1 Like

If you set up a private leaderboard let us know the code; I know that a few if-ers do this each year.

Good idea, I just saw how to make a private leaderboard, so if anyone wants to join the code is 506652-6ec99af4. You enter it on this page.

1 Like

Btw, several of this year’s challenges concern implementing a little virtual machine, which feels particularly topically for the IF community.

The Reddit solution threads also appear to have a mini-contest for each day to see who can write the best poem about that day’s puzzle.

Wow! The final puzzle here was actually a work of interactive fiction.

Good call @Dannii on getting a group from here in a private leaderboard. Nice work on finishing too, and Merry Christmas to all now that we’ve saved Santa from his annual peril.

For our math-philes, there were puzzles in here for you too, including one I had to do some math research on - my modular algebra is apparently pretty rusty.

1 Like