Adv3 periplus

My first cut of the TADS adv3 periplus is now online at https://jimbonator.github.io/tads-cookbook/adv3/.

As with the adv3Lite periplus, it organizes the TADS 3 standard library reference material by topic.

If you discover any problems or missing information, please let me know here or via its GitHub host repo.

– Jim

9 Likes

Do you mind if I place links on the my tadsjam site?

Please do! Share far and wide.

– Jim

1 Like

THANKS !!!

Honestly, I don’t expected a so fast initial edition. For sure I’ll give a through look into !

Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.

1 Like

First suggestion: why don’t allow a local setup in the makefile ?

I’ll explain: I have in my …/if/doc/… a local copy of the TADS 3 bookshelf and adv3Lite shelf, downloaded from their respective sites, and I think is feasible setting a LOCAL| LOCALITE = < offline copy of shelves > and the make changing the links to the local copy in file///…/if/doc/…

(now people will understand why I never reveal the actual path of my main if directory…)

…I’m not sure of having explained well, so pls ask clarification…

Again, thanks, and
Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.

ps. I fully concur and agree with this point in the intro to the periplus:

UPDATE: after a bit of research into /util I find where the links to be edited lies, and was a simple matter of sed(1) the https//tads.org… into file///… and I’m now sure that ideed the makefile and .php can be modified into a customisable link to the imps’s local copy of the TADS bookshelf (and adv3lite bookshelf) via Makefile.

again, Thanks and Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.

I considered including the adv3 docs in the repo, but was self-conscious of replicating them when they’re easily available at tads.org. (I had no choice with the adv3Lite docs, as I couldn’t find them hosted anywhere in unzipped form.) I also didn’t consider anyone would pull the repo and use it locally, but now that I think about it, that makes perfect sense.

Maybe I’m being overly cautious here. When I get a chance, I’ll add the docs to the repo and re-target the links.

– Jim

1 Like

not much need of excessive cautious, actually.

As you surely known, the entire bookshelf is available as .zip in the very tads.org site, and expands into two dirs, doc/ and lib/, the latter having only the adv3 changelog in .htm

you can simply put in the readme an pointer to t3doc.zip and instruction to decompress somewhere inside the periplus dir tree; I think that the usefulness of the periplus ought not to be weighted [graved ?] on tads.org’s server’s bandwith… hence my suggestion.

Thanks again and Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.

1 Like