Adding default content to all room descriptions

I have the following bit of code:

roomObj : Room
    'RoomName'
    "<< funcCall () >>
    Some room description. "

vocabWords = 'room/location'
;

The funcCall () in the room description is something that I’d like to do in every room of the game without having to remember to add it. I know I can use modify Room to alter the base Room class behavior but I cannot figure out if the above is possible and if it is, how to do it.

Where would I need to make changes to allow for adding default content to all rooms? (I’m using TADS 3 and adv3.)

I haven’t searched in this forum but you might find this old thread useful, https://groups.google.com/d/msg/rec.arts.int-fiction/O9F_hrhg-zY/L3ZRglqre4UJ . Basically you want to modify Room's roomDesc, putting your func first and then calling inherited so the original roomDesc can do its thing.

modify Room
    myfunc ()
    {
        "Printed with every room description. ";
    }
    roomDesc ()
    {
        myfunc();
        inherited;
    }
;

roomA: Room 'Room A'
    "This is the first room. "
    east = roomB
;

roomB: Room 'Room B'
    "This is the second room. "
    east = roomC
;

+ me: Actor
;

roomC: Room 'Room C'
    "This is the third room. "
    east = roomA
;

In that thread note the fine point with BasicLocation. AFAICT the Room class overrides the roomDesc of BasicLocation (see http://tads.org/t3doc/doc/libref/source/thing.t.html#2582) so keep that in mind for whatever you modify.

George, thank you very much, that did exactly what I was trying to do. My mistake was that I was trying to do the same with desc, not roomDesc and that didn’t work.

Come to think of it, I don’t really get why one works and the other doesn’t - I double-checked and I used the same syntax but when I try to override desc this way, my function doesn’t get called. I looked at the source code of both desc() and roomDesc() in Thing.t but I don’t grasp the difference in their implementations.

I think the use of the room template might make it less obvious. When you use the room template you are really defining desc = ... . Because desc is a method on the Room class, you are overriding that method in the object, so the object won’t inherit any modification of the Room's desc.

Thank you - I think about half an hour after posting my message I realized that setting the room description to a display string (“something”) would not call the base class function. Your solution worked; thank you again for taking the time to help.