A room within' a room? Is this possible? (solved)

Having an issue. I need to create a “Room within’ a room”. Here’s the scenario.

I have a room called “a Meadow”. I want to put a “Cottage inside the Meadow.” An enterable room with it’s own description inside the Meadow room. I’ve poured through the rule books and commands and just decided to come here instead.

How should I go about this? Make the cottage an enterable container? A vehicle? I done the vehicle and container, but when entering the meadow. it tells me “You can see a Cottage (empty) here.” It always includes the word (empty), giving the impression it isn’t a room. I’m stuck on this at the moment. Just need some codes that would allow this.

It’s probably something easy and was right under my nose the entire time, but I feel I’ve wasted enough time trying to pull this off without assistance. I’m the type of guy that never asks for directions on the road and gets lost. Stubborn. I have managed to figure out a lot on my own, but this has me stumped. Thanks and cheers.

Read this page:

http://inform7.com/learn/man/doc29.html

not sure how I missed that, The scene described even sounds like my own.

Note that you probably also want to have a dummy “cottage” object in the meadow, so that the player can type “enter cottage” and have it interpreted as going inside, something like:

The cottage is an enterable scenery container in the meadow.
Instead of entering the cottage, try going inside.

Of course, you should also provide a description of the cottage, perhaps suggesting that the player take a peek inside.

All is good but it created another issue for me. I do try to figure it out on my own before I drive the forum nuts with all my questions. Usually I do manage to find solutions. My new problem is with the descriptions. I can’t get it to describe the inside of the cabin correctly.

For instance, if I examine the cabin after entering (while inside the cabin), I was getting the same description that I was getting while outside the cabin. So I tried out a few ideas by using certain rules, but it got even more confusing.

The main description of the cabin (before entering) is “The Cabin is constructed with logs from the surrounding forest, beautifully crafted with skill and precision.” While standing in the meadow. But i’m trying to get it to give an independent description of the cabin’s interior while examining from inside the cabin. After examining the cabin while inside, I want it to have this description. “The inside is beautifully arranged, neat and well kept, but you see no sign of the home owner.” Without the first description from showing up as well.

So I came up with this, which was the only thing I could get close on…

Before examining cabin: If the player is inside the cabin: say "The inside is beautifully arranged, neat and well kept, but you see no sign of the home owner."; otherwise: say "The Cabin is constructed with logs from the surrounding forest, beautifully crafted with skill and precision." instead.

But with this code, If examining while inside the cabin, it still stated the original description, but included the inside description as well(example below).

I also tried taking away the "otherwise: say “The Cabin is constructed with logs from the surrounding forest, beautifully crafted with skill and precision.” instead.

But that didn’t work either.

I’m ready to just pull my hair out over this.

You could drop the before rule and change the description to

The description of the cabin is "[if the player is inside the cabin]The inside is beautifully arranged, neat and well kept, but you see no sign of the home owner.[otherwise]The Cabin is constructed with logs from the surrounding forest, beautifully crafted with skill and precision."

If you want to keep the rule approach, you need to put the “instead” to the main if-branch (it won’t stop the action if it’s only in the else-branch where it’s not reached):

Before examining cabin: If the player is inside the cabin: say "The inside is beautifully arranged, neat and well kept, but you see no sign of the home owner." instead.

You can also drop the else-branch and let it reach the default description.

Technically, you don’t need to make to scenery thing “enterable” to use this code. It probably won’t make a difference, but if for example you have a wandering character (a cat or something), it might climb into the dummy cabin and apparently disappear, rather than using the “inside from” map connection. Worth considering.

Thanks fellas, i’m about to get to work on it and see if I can’t wrap this one up. I’ll letcha know how it goes. Hopefully sooner or later i’ll be the one who’s actually helping people, instead of being the one asking all the questions! I’ve been addicted to this since I started a couple of weeks ago, when I get determined to do something I enjoy, i’m not easily swayed. I can honestly see myself still making text adventures years from now. I’ve done poetry and some short stories, I love to write and create. But this is everything I desire it seems, all wrapped up into one.

Creating text adventures is truly an art. One that I hope to succeed and excel at. What’s better than reading a good book? Living inside of one, which is how I feel when I do a text adventure. Creating them is even more exhilarating; euphoric. Out of all the games, the 3d, simulations and all the realistic graphics. Nothing holds a candle to a text adventure. It’s in it’s own category, no comparison.

Maybe this will work, it seems to be the only thing holding me up at the moment. I’ll get back to ya. Glad you guys have been around, or i’d have been up **** creek without a paddle. This stuff gets pretty confusing! The handbooks don’t always give you the more detailed aspects.

I think I got it. Something still isn’t right, but I do at least have different descriptions. I’ll figure out the minor stuff. Thanks guys.