A Poll: Do you play non-IF video/computer games?

• Often
  • Sometimes
  • Seldom
  • Never

0 voters

I personally construe “video games” as a large category with a low bar to entry. I don’t agree with people who gatekeep by excluding certain types of games.

I am playing fewer recent games than I have in a decade due to my Infocom thing, but I typically have a backlog. In recent months, I have only played Shin Megami Tensei V. While it isn’t a conscious choice, I seem to play more Japanese games than anything else.

Besides Shin Megami Tensei and its various relatives, my favorite franchises include Resident Evil and Dragon Quest.

What about you?

1 Like

I play a lot of point and click adventure/puzzle games on my iPad. I love The Room series, anything by Rusty Lake… anything with good puzzles that doesn’t require fast fingers or a controller.

3 Likes

Occasional forays into Civ (though it’s been a long time: not since Civ4) and roguelikes. Turn-based for the win.

3 Likes

As an old aviator, I play flight simulators from time to time.

I also have a Nintendo Switch that mostly catches dust.

1 Like

Yeah, primarily adventure/puzzle games and RPGs (put me down as another roguelike fan – I’ve put way too much time into Angband…) I’m a history nerd so I like the Assassin’s Creed games too, but not much in the way of AAA games other than that.

1 Like

My response of “Often” may be very misleading. I haven’t played any commercial games newer than Doom II, but I play a lot of NetHack, and a lot of '80s arcade games in MAME. Also, for some reason, a ridiculous amount of Shark! Shark! in an Intellivision emulator on my phone.

2 Likes

Between the Apple II and the Wii, I was always up with computer/video/arcade games. For time and RSI reasons I now am not. I probably play more Roblox than anything because I play with my 9-year-old nephew. We’re pretty powerful in Pet Simulator X!

I eventually had to buy a PS4 (my first console since the Wii) so I could play the Resident Evil 2 remake. The first Resident Evil 2 is my favourite classic survival horror game, along with Silent Hill. I have a PS2 with a backlog of survival horror games I want to play, plus I’ve got all the Resident Evils I haven’t played waiting for me on the PS4 (I just started RE5 yesterday).

I recently made a totally unanticipated foray into speedrunning on a new Apple II game, Attack of the Petscii Robots:

-Wade

2 Likes

I keep an up to date list of indie games worth playing on my Itch page, see the list here

Everyone that likes platformers should try Psilosybil, a Crash Bandicoot throwback that is brutally hard. Try the demo here for free or buy the full game on Steam before the sale ends on Monday.

I rarely buy games on release day but I did buy this one.

2 Likes

Yes. Mostly RPGs - big Assassin’s Creed and Dishonored fan, more recently into Dragon Age and Disco Elysium. I also enjoy puzzle games like Portal sometimes, but they scratch a different itch from narrative games, and I don’t know how to categorize Elsinore but I enjoyed it. Tacoma is next in my queue.

2 Likes

I appreciate all the repiles! re: rouguelikes I haven’t played one lately but I was obsessed with Ancient Domains of Mystery back at the turn of the century. What a vicious game. Haven’t played it since it got rid of ASCII art, though I’ve considered picking it up on Steam.

any one in particular you’d recommend? I like the look of their games

I didn’t think so, those are very reasonable answers

GTA!

I’m slow tho, since I come from IF - I look into every corner.

Also, Skyrim. Same problem.
Oh look, a flower I’ve picked up 10.000x before for damn crafting which doesn’t produce anything useful!

EXAMINE FLOWER
Dude, you’ve seen it 10.000x before!
TAKE FLOWER
sigh

3 Likes

I voted “never.” Technically, that isn’t true, though, as once a month or so I’ll fire up Age of Empires 3. I tried playing some browser games a while back, but they just made my head hurt.

2 Likes

I never play any! My interest in computer games is very marginal and really restricted to IF, and that only quite recently. I’m kind of curious about video games as an art form, but constitutionally disinclined to play any of them. Maybe I’ll get into them one day?

I have, however, learned a lot by hanging around on this forum for the past couple of years, about things I’d never have heard of otherwise (like MUDs and roguelikes).

4 Likes

My answer depends on whether you consider MUDs as non-IF games or as IF games. If you consider them non-IF games, then my answer would be “often”. If you consider them IF games, then my answer would be “seldom”.

I spend almost 99% of my gaming time with parser games, whether with IFs or MUDs.

2 Likes

I have played L. A. Noire by Rockstar Games on the Nintendo Switch. It almost gives the feeling of an IF game even though it is all graphic (and quite violent) at times. The game has a narrator that gives it the IF feeling. At $49 it is pretty pricey.

2 Likes

The cube escapes are all good, and I think they’re all free. My favorite of their pay-for games was Hotel or Paradise. My least favorite was their newest one, The White Door.

2 Likes

I play Civ III at least once a week. Other games I often play are Sims 2, Master of Orion II and Among Us. There’s a fairly large pool of other games I occasionally play as well, across a number of genres.

1 Like

I voted “seldom”. I’ve just started playing Caves of Qud, which I’m not even sure counts as non-IF. I used to play Weird Worlds: Strange Adventures in Infinite Space rather obsessively. I like tile-based retro puzzle games like Repton and XOR. Anything that doesn’t involve lightning-fast reflexes, essentially, because I don’t have those. I can just about cope with Lego Ninjago. But I’m also looking forward to Melkior’s Mansion, an isometric remake of Atic Atac, because I loved Atic Atac!

2 Likes

I used to play a lot, going back to the 1980s, but with my progressive neurological illness I have so little time now. I do play Super Mario Run still on my iPad, but that’s really it!

@severedhand We’re 8-Bit Guy fans in this house, and have been enjoying David Murray’s videos about the development of Petscii Robots. As a Brit I am agog that a ZX Spectrum port has been completed :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m fond of SCUMM games.

1 Like