I come from a gamedev and coding background and have been wanting to get into Inform 7 for a long time, but I’m having problems getting into Natural Inform. I’ve tried to go through documentations and code examples, but I just can’t seem to discern a basic logic behind the syntax - especially when it comes to defining new actions and responses - beyond creating rooms and items.
I think it’d make things easier if I could get some help with code for my most immediate needs, so I was hoping that someone here could maybe help with that.
These are the things I’m trying to accomplish in order of significance:
- Give all living creatures - including the character - a health status in the range of dead, weak, alive, strong and invincible. If a character is dead then interacting with it won’t produce responses indicating that it’s alive, such as “I don’t think X would like that” in response to trying to pick the person up.
- Allow the player to change characters from dead to any other status using certain items.
- Allow the player to bury and dig up dead characters if they have a shovel.
- Allow the player to bury and dig up any item if they have a shovel.
- Classify certain items as weapons, and give those weapons a power status in the range of none, weak, normal, strong and max.
- Allow the player to attempt to kill any living creature using any weapon, where the weapon’s power status is matched against the character’s health status, and the player’s weapon needs to be one level higher than the creature’s health in order to be effective.
- Give all living creatures a defense status in the range of none and max, where if a character is attacked by the player, it will kill the player in return if its defense status is set to max rather than none.
I don’t know if I’m asking too much, but anything on this list that I could get help with would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for reading!