A certain kind of game from the last few years

I was just thinking about three games:

Tuuli

1958: Dancing With Fear

Ariadne in Aeaea

These are three games from the last year that were all successful. They all have the following in common:

• They can be completed in less than an hour

• They are thoroughly bug-tested

• They have deep implementation and many small details

• They have puzzles, but only light ones that serve the narrative.

I like this kind of game, and I’d like to compile a list of them. I thought of doing it on IFDB, and I probably will later, but I wanted to hear what other people thought. Do you know of any more games like this? I feel like some of Ryan Veeder’s games are this way. What others are out there?

3 Likes

‘Tethered’ by Linus Åkesson.

2 Likes

Yes, that’s perfect! That’s exactly the kind of thing I’m looking for.

2 Likes

You can also check out my app Gamebook. Stories are short and bug free :wink:
Linktr.ee/questgamebook

1 Like

Cheers for the list of games. There are so many things to do with so little time these days, that shorter experiences are preferable. They’re usually higher quality than longer games, and I actually have a good chance of seeing the end of the game. Although I tried Tuuli and couldn’t figure it out :frowning:

I’m glad you liked the list! What part of Tuuli did you get stuck on?

Hah sorry for late reply, especially as the details are a bit distant now. I think it was because I’d taken everything I could from the cabin, but couldn’t find anything else to interact with the move the story forward. I walked around for a bit, but was unsure of what to do. I’m very new to non multiple choice style IFs.