A Blue Like No Other

I’m not quite sure what to make of this. It seems extremely buggy. Lessons 2 and 3 are the same. Clicking on the given words often doesn’t work. Even when you do click all the words and they all disappear from the list, it doesn’t necessarily end the lesson. And there are a fair number of typos in the text. Maybe it’s deliberately pretending to be buggy old software? But I don’t understand the point of that…what am I missing?

1 Like

I wasn’t quite sure what to make it of either. I’ve posted a review of it on my blog.

I have a similar assessment. I even went through the Javascript code to make sure I didn’t miss anything.

I think it just is what it is.

Anyone got a theory on the title? Maybe an allusion to “Blue is the Warmest Color”?

Don’t know what to make of it.

Wait, clicking on the words actually works sometimes?

Clicking worked perfectly for me. That was on Chrome on an Android phone.

I believe you’re supposed to highlight the words, not click on them. That’s my experience, anyway: clicking did nothing unless I happened to accidentally slide across the word at the same time, whereas highlighting always got a result. I imagine that if your browser is set up to highlight a word when you click on it, that might work as well.

1 Like

Ah, I see, I just looked at the code. If you click without highlighting, it’s trying to select the word under the cursor, but in some places it gets the wrong thing (like for Rue in lesson 4, for me on Firefox under Windows it gets the trailing period and quote as well) so it doesn’t match.

Aha! And the Mozilla docs for the function it’s using say that it’s non-standard and there’s a note further down the page suggesting that it actually does behave differently in different browsers.

But it looks like highlighting the words should (?) work consistently across browsers. Good find!

1 Like