7 TADS multimedia games bundled with their resources

Easier for who? Peter (and I) can’t program interpreters, and it’d definitely be more work for the interpreter writers to implement zip support than to have this done for them.

Ayuh. I don’t mind doing this - I’m just retro-fitting old games to a situation where bundling is a good thing; when they were first released keeping the files separate was probably the best option, as if you had a slow connection you could just download the game and enjoy it, missing out on a few extras.

I’m actually glad to be able to do this. It’s quite easy, and at least I’m doing something useful.

Plus, since the terps situation is pretty much overall stalled, or at least apparently so, this way I can get something done now. And if a TADS interpreter already knows how to read the media files bundled with the game, hey presto. And if the TADS interpreter doesn’t know how to read the bundled media files, then the TADS interpreter in question needs looking at and is beyond my meager abilities. :slight_smile:

EDIT - Finally, with my (rather obsessive) collection and my (rather obsessive) desire to play IF on my iOS (so I’m also doing this for me), I’m especially well-placed to do this. Might as well take advantage!

EDIT 2 - BTW, I should probably own up to the difficulty of this whole enterprise. It was pretty much nil. All I needed, and which Michael Roberts kindly supplied me with, was a tool to extract the resources from .rsX files (and, if I wanted to, extract the ones bundled in the game already). The tool I used to bundle it all up is tadsrsc32.exe, which comes with your normal TADS installation. It’s pretty much a case of “this is so simple anyone can do it… since no one has yet, though, I might as well!”.

Due to some concern over copyright, the games that I’ve submitted to the archive that aren’t already there (like British Fox, Dr. Crusher and French Mansion) won’t be added to the archive. They would have been, if I were the copyright holder or if the games stated clearly that redistribution was allowed.

It’s probably no great loss (though the production values of British Fox are at least superior to the other two - you could charitably compare it with Tomorrow Never Comes. Charitably), but they’ll be in my collection anyway, so if you’re really craving some bundled AIF you can always go there.

Michael Roberts has whipped up the tool that allowed me to extract the resource files for Max Blaster and BattleSim Demo. I’ve re-bundled them and submitted to the archive.

AFAIK, this is it - all TADS games that use external files have been rebundled so that it’s all in one file, making it easier for mobile devices to access. And now that I know how to do it, I can keep an eye out on newer releases - even having the opportunity to approach the author directly.

All the other games from my previous post - Drool, Tomorrow Never Comes, and whatnot - have already beed added and updated to the archive. I’ll clean it up in IFDB when I have a bit of spare time.