6E59 is going live

The new build of Inform, 6E59, is now available for the Mac; other versions to follow soon.

The change log and downloads are available at

inform7.com/

Windows version is now up.

Waiting on the .deb packages here…

Dammit, I was going to post that the Windows build is available :smiley:
I believe that Philip is having some computer troubles, which may mean that the Linux builds are a little delayed, sorry about that. Hopefully in a week or so they’ll be up.

Aw, you disabled F7 being a shortcut for Refresh Index in the Windows build? I used that all the time! It was a very quick way of checking whether the code I’d just written was legal!

w00t!

I’m about halfway through the explanation of the new logo. [EDIT: Which may be what Graham spent most of the last year on. :slight_smile: ]

I am unreasonably thrilled with the new logo. After 2+ years of wrestling with this creative tool Inform 7, I had developed a kind of love/hate relationship with the old icon.

Suddenly, mosaics are cool now.

Er, I cannot get the build to run on my machine. I mean, I can run the IDE and all, but when I try to compile, I get an error when it’s handing off from Inform 7 to 6:

[code]
Inform 7 has finished.
/Applications/Inform.app/Contents/Resources/Compilers/inform-6.31-biplatform
-kE2SDwv8 +include_path=/Applications/Inform.app/Contents/Resources/Library/Natural,.,…/Source /Users/ronnewcomb/Desktop/test2.inform/Build/auto.inf /Users/ronnewcomb/Desktop/test2.inform/Build/output.z8
Launching: inform-6.31-biplatform “-kE2SDwv8” “+include_path=/Applications/Inform.app/Contents/Resources/Library/Natural,.,…/Source” “/Users/ronnewcomb/Desktop/test2.inform/Build/auto.inf” “/Users/ronnewcomb/Desktop/test2.inform/Build/output.z8”
2010-06-14 21:40:00.192 Inform[14334] *** NSTask: Task create for path /Applications/Inform.app/Contents/Resources/Compilers/inform-6.31-biplatform failed: 8, “Exec format error”.

Compiler finished with code 5[/code]

I tried making a new project and compiling, as well as opening an old (but small) project and compiling. Same thing.

Help?

I did some tidying up of the shortcuts - possibly rather too much tidying up. I’ll add that one back in.

Heh. Thanks. :smiley:

This appears to be the result of a slightly embarrassing error in the build creation. I quote from Graham’s email to a couple of other reporters of the problem:

So the good news is, if you download the build again, it should work now.

(Sorry.)

Me too, and I had to laugh about “I’m not sure what the metal claw-tool on Dashcode’s icon is, but I’m pretty clear that it does something permanent.” Well, it’s a t-square… (This is not to say that I haven’t felt the desire to cause permanent damage with one, but it’s not really the intended use.)

Thanks Em. I was panicking about still running 10.4 Tiger. :slight_smile:

Er, well, I got a brand new project to compile, but now I get:

Problem. An internal error has occurred: Bad index documentation reference. The error was detected at line 452 of "Chapter 3/Index File Services.w". This should never happen, and I am now halting in abject failure.

This is on TextFyre’s WIP, which is huge. Any chance of a quick-fix for this too?

FWIW, the same WIP compiled without problems on 6E36.

That, I’m afraid, I have no idea about, but an internal error is always bug report time.

Really stupid question, but what is the bug tracker’s URL? Can’t seem to find it anywhere…

inform7.com/mantis/

Done. I’ll spend this evening trying to isolate the problem. (I presume I can edit my own bug report?) Hopefully I find a fix or workaround. In the meantime I asked Dave to try the same project on his Windows machine to see if it’s Mac specific or not.

thx

Wouldn’t “bugs.inform7.com” make more sense?

inform7.com/bugs/ redirects to the same place, fwiw.

Computer troubles are indeed the reason. I’ll try to have them up on Saturday or Sunday.