Write your own CYOA competition (ends December 15!)

tove: That looks good. At least I could implement it partially at first and not break people’s pure text stories. And it’s open source (though I may possibly write an LGPL/Apache version of the interpreter from scratch). Awesome find.

I feel like the most current and developed CYOA systems are ChoiceScript, Undum, and Twee/Twine. Any others in this class?

As mentioned earlier in this thread, I was developing a system… I’ve now got it to a working state:

The ‘Plug-and-Play Gamebook’ template. (Or, how do you get writers and CYOA players one step closer to interactive fiction?)
http://www.inthecompanyofgrues.com/?p=228

Looks good, Neo. I’m putting this on my list of things to check out when I am checking things out. 8)

P.

Thanks, Laroquod.

Any feedback you have would be greatly appreciated. [emote]:)[/emote]

Cheers!

Coolness! (@Neo: I linked to your blog.)

As an aside:
I’m pretty amazed. First Retro has his language, tove mentions Twine, Laroquod has a system, and then Neo has something too! I’m relatively new to serious story-telling languages but it seems like something must be up if we’re all creating them! There are plenty of programming languages but I don’t hear quite so much about everyone cooking up new ones.

Thanks, Chris.

I think there are a number of factors that ensure a high level of interest is maintained in CYOA/gamebook style IF. Nostalgia is one. But, more importantly, I think gamebooks are one of the purest forms of interactive fiction, distilled down into action and choice. CYOA is also one of the most accessible forms of IF to he and she Q. Public.

I also think the form has yet to be fully explored. I believe there’s a lot of scope for innovation and experimentation, and that excites me. I also believe that the line between gamebook and (Infocom-style) IF can be blurred even more than it has been.

Thanks for the link. I’ve added you to my own links page. [emote]:)[/emote]

@Neo: I suspect you’re right, we’ve only seen the start of ways to create interactive stories.

By the way, I started a more focused discussion here.