URGENT HELP NEEDED from Pinkunz (serious car accident) [phone borrowed for op]

Yes! I was very happy and pleased to be able to have helped get on top of a problem before it worsened. I mean, how else am I going to annoy him by sending him cute squeaky little bottle fed baby kittens scrumbling around and meowing t heir heads off videos, haha.

And I’m glad he’s feeling a little bit better. DVTs are excruciating, and I am very glad that that is also being treated, and no more cold, yay! Not being able to breathe properly is the worst, and I always fuss and worry when I hear that he’s caught a case of the sniffles because of it, asthma really sucks. Thankfully he’s very on top of managing it and totes around his inhaler like most men lug around their keys and wallet and like, nothing else, while I’m out here with a whole pantry in my backpack with a cute beanie babie pal for morale, LOL.

I mean, imagine missing out on these cute little guys forever:

7 Likes

That’s pretty fucking serious.

Thinking about you, @pinkunz.

9 Likes

Argh. Positive vibes sent.

Is DVT the thing that can happen to people on long overseas flights when they sit in an airline seat for eight hours without moving around, or is that something else?

9 Likes

Yes, that’s the same thing. It can also be caused by other things, but long bouts of inactivity – like sitting on a plane for an extended period of time – are one of the causes.

7 Likes

Yes, though in his case it’s suspected that major contributing factors were tiny clots formed because of his two close in proximity surgeries acting as seeds, and also the fact his poor leg’s been stuck in that compression boot for like, forever, and then him being all flopsy around with it immobilized and elevated and not being able to do anything.

On the bright side, the last I saw it, (which was a bit ago, March 13) his leg actually somewhat resembles a normal human leg in terms of swelling subsiding, which is crazy good- immediately post accident and operation it was kinda dicey on whether or not they’d need to perform a fasciotomy (making a huge incision(s) down the entire length of the leg by slicing into the fascia to relieve pressure, common in severe crush injuries resulting in compartment syndrome) to preserve the limb. The muscle atrophy was very noticeable between his two legs, but otherwise they’re vaguely the same size which is a big improvement.

He does have some markings on his legs and thighs, but they’re like little red marks almost like if you picked up something tender with tongs because that’s where cuts healed in symmetrical points from being pinned beneath in the crash, and if the engine block had moved further in the impact his legs would have been obliterated by breaking at all of those spots. I think he’ll probably scar over, since he seems prone to them from his plasma donation scars and how pale he is, but he’s not really too concerned about that (and I did mention that silicon sheets are often used post cosmetic surgery to reduce the appearance of scars.)

The danger with DVTs is the risk of the clot throwing (dislodging) and travelling through the bloodstream to cause usually a pulmonary embolism, which is where the clot cuts off blood circulation in the lungs and causes tissues to become oxygen deprived and die, or for the lung to collapse, causing cardiac arrest. Pulmonary embolisms are also difficult to diagnose sometimes in a timely fashion due to the vague symptoms. Also, you can have a cerebral embolism, where the same oxygen starvation and circulation stoppage happens in the brain, which is bad news bears. Also they’re just incredibly painful. But that’s why they’re putting him on a course of anticoagulant, it’s a more conservative approach than snaking in a tiny device to physically break up the clot.

10 Likes

Right. I understand that sitting in a chair or taking a flight doesn’t cause DVT but it’s something that builds up over time (or in Pinkunz’s case surgery and immobilization) and an extended sit can be the final straw that causes an emergency. Similar to how a brain aneurism or blood clot might exist undetected for years but become sudden emergency trauma during a period of activity or stress. It plays into the trope that a heart attack can be caused by a sudden scare - that is not the root cause of the attack or a burst blood vessel, it was just the trigger that pushed a pre-existing health condition past its limit.

8 Likes

This is so sad I hope you get better :frowning:

5 Likes

Mike’s just spoken with Dan, for an update on the situation. Dan has been doing OK, but he’s just been silent for the most part because of resting up while dealing with the side effects of the blood thinners he’s been put on: (bruising, headaches, leg pain, etc), and in a week or so, they’ll be lowering the dose, which should helpfully help with some of those symptoms.

20 Likes

@sophia
Thank you so much for keeping us updated. It really means a lot to me.

@pinkunz
Here’s (what I’m sure is) a “Sophia Approved” motivational message…

…we’re all pulling for you, man.

10 Likes

Of course! Dan and I are very close, and I’m glad to be able to help facilitate communication efforts, since Mike’s already covering the phone line. (Mike has been a fantastic guy behind the scenes in all of this. Zed and Manon have similarly also been involved, we have a little chat with us four to coordinate contact.)

I got to speak with Dan a little more this evening directly, and he’s since probably laid down to get some sleep- but from the sounds of it, he was sort of downplaying his symptoms earlier with Mike. The bloodthinners he’s on come with the same effects as my hemophilia, essentially: which means he’s also been experiencing instances of waking up with his face congealed to his pillow from the aftermath of a gory nosebleed while sleeping, vomiting half congealed swallowed blood that’s jellied in texture, stomach upset and nausea from said blood, bleeding gums, eyes, and his ears, in addition to his nose.

His doctor has been kept informed of his symptoms. There’s not much to be done about them, unfortunately. He was thankful for some quality of life tips I gave him from my own first hand experience of these sorts of hemorrhages: mostly to manage the griminess and soothe some of the pain that can accompany these symptoms, (like a cold compress over the eyes for the stinging, avoiding screen time and straining them, wet wipes for the middle of the night,) how to deal with the accompanying severe light headedness (such as safer postures to puke from, how to keep fluid intake up with reminders), and how to get around mobility issues and feeling clean after bleeds (a little ‘go kit’ beside the bed, with wipes, snacks and water, another container to swish blood out into), and how to go about addressing a more severe nosebleed (constricting the blood vessels with cold, let the blood out and don’t swallow, as blood is a stomach irritant, etc).

His sleep schedule has been totally fucked by the symptoms, which is very understandable: the extreme fatigue and dizziness that comes with hemorrhaging is awful to live with. He got up at like, 4PM today, but he’s spent a lot of his time lately absolutely soaked in blood: he described a pretty grisly scene of a nosebleed that resulted in the tub, wheelchair, floors, and so on slathered. So he’s been pretty tired, understandably, and mostly just curled up in a ball and resting, listening to podcasts to keep his sanity while drowsing off. Dan always has problems remembering to eat/drink appropriately, (he often forgot even before the accident, which is why I sometimes prompt the Neo-Interactives and Camp Meows with dinner checks- he’s the kind of person who forgets how thirsty they are until they start drinking,) and hydration has been a bit of an issue with the blood loss: though he promised he was getting some water while we were speaking.

He hasn’t bled enough to hit shock symptoms, from the sounds of it- and hasn’t mentioned being particularly cold or shaky, just mostly exhausted and dizzy. I told him to reach out to me if anything else happened and I’d see if I could come up with some more tips to address issues that pop up, since we managed to troubleshoot what he should do in the event of another nosebleed and vomiting session, and we sent him off to presumed bed with warm wishes from the Camp Meows.

It’s all been a little frustrating: I wish there was more we could do about it- it’s no fun hemorrhaging. But I am glad that I was able to help a little bit, with information from my own lived experiences, and that he seemed to be a little happier from us talking with him. Hopefully tapering off of the anticoagulants go well, though even if he’s on them for life in the event of another clot forming- he won’t be going through the process alone, and he knows that I’ll be there for him, to commiserate and share advice, as I deal with my own hemophilia and coagulation factor dysfunction. I think it helped to hear that, maybe. I hope so. We all love him very much, and care for him deeply. It was good to hear from him.

20 Likes

Oh my goodness, it sounds like this is still such a long and difficult ordeal. Thinking of you @pinkunz.

11 Likes

Just wanted to cross-post to this thread to let folks know that we updated the GoFundMe with some updates on how Dan and Heather are doing and some requests for support:

15 Likes

Oh no! That’s so horrible to hear. Mega applause to @sophia and @DeusIrae for keeping in touch, and all the best of luck to Dan for getting better! :sparkling_heart::sparkling_heart:

13 Likes

Mike spoke to him some last night. Says he’s been doing better and should hopefully be tapering down the anticoagulants sometime by the end of this week.

15 Likes

YAY! 1000% glad to hear he’s getting even a little better!

3 Likes