ShuffleComp: Disc Two

The ShuffleComp: Disc 2 games zip folder has been updated on the website. This update adds all the files for Everything We Do Is Games that are available on the game’s website.

Neil

So I at least tried all the games, except for the Alan one, can’t get it to play on my ancient Mac, it’s stuck on OS 10.7.5, I tried untarring the thing into the other thing but now it just segfaults instead of hanging, any ideas?

Er but anyway now I am working on an interactive, uh, non-fictional thingee, that can sort the games in random or non-random order, by either asking you questions first or not.

http://toastball.net/games/shufflecomp2015/

If you were looking for something to randomize the games for you, this can definitely do that already, probably. Beyond that… hmm, I don’t know if I would go so far as to say that it constitutes an actual review, exactly, but it does contain opinions, so perhaps that’s debateable… anyway my point was gonna be that you should all help me improve it by checking it out and allowing it to cleverly trick you into playing all the games and developing opinions about them so you can complain to me about how it didn’t do a very good job of sorting them appropriately. Plus then you can vote and post actual reviews etc and everybody wins maybe?

I wouldn’t consider this classification as any kind of review. I thought this was pretty
cool. Accurate, too, at least for me. I can see this being really useful for competitions with a lot of games.

Neil

I can’t really bring myself to be too excited either way. Just leaving it as it is would be the least amount of work for everyone, so I’m happy to default to that.

Thanks,
Roger / Urist / Comrade

[spoiler]Oh hey! Quick question regarding that: did you get to the “real” Texas Theatre at the end?

I’m afraid the real difficulty I’m giving Neil is being so damn absent the last month, but the main issue is that it links to a completely different twine game at the end, however tiny.
Giving two HTML files is a bit of a spoiler, and updating the game is, well, updating the game. Sorry for any confusion or trouble caused! I can simply provide both, if wanted.

Also: Only yesterday did I learn that Texas Instruments used to actually make video games, which would have been insanely convenient, story-wise.
Ah well.[/spoiler]

Thanks for the game sorter, Zaphod! I’m loving the games, and this has a fun way to go through them.

Here’s a thread for collecting Shufflecomp reviews! If you’ve written any reviews for ShuffleComp, please consider posting in it.

Thank you for that explanation, socksmeanie, I’ll PM you to keep the discussion “safe” for other gamers.

I have some nitpicky questions about the judging rules:

Does rating (but not reviewing) a game on IFDB count as “writing and publishing a review”, i.e., will it be counted as a yes vote? How about adding a game to an IFDB poll, with or without a comment?

Do reviews from people who aren’t voting count as yes votes? I’m thinking of MathBrush’s reviews on IFDB, although I guess it’s moot since it looks like they’re reviewing every single game in the comp.

“You may vote on your own game, or a game you tested. If you do this, you should also vote for at least two other games.” Does this only apply to Yes votes, or both Yes and No votes? Presumably I can’t just vote Yes on my own game and No on two other games, but I just wanted to clarify.

I tested three games; can I vote Yes on all of them without voting Yes for anything else? Or do I have to also vote Yes on 2*N other games that I didn’t test?

There are others who’ve written reviews on IFDB as well, and I have no idea if these people are voting, or if they’re aware of the implications of reviews for the competition. So it seems like a relevant question.

[s]I do not see why a review should automatically be a yes vote, they are two separete things.

A review need not even be a positive review.[/s]

EDIT - Bah, just ignore this. I hadn’t read the rules properly. Sorry.

“Does rating (but not reviewing) a game on IFDB count as ‘writing and publishing a review.’”

No. A review has words, even if it is just the name of the game and “recommended.” It does feel odd giving a “yes” vote for people who review a game on IFDB, but I can’t be sure whether or not the reviewer is aware of the rules, and therefore need to assume every review counts.

“Adding a game to an IFDB poll, with or without a comment?”

No, just adding a game to a poll isn’t a review. And, like for a blog post, a comment isn’t a review. A comment would be a discussion, which is allowed.

“Do reviews from people who aren’t voting count as yes votes?”

Yes. We can’t predict who is voting. Besides, there is no rule that says reviewers need to vote.

“You may vote on your own game, or a game you tested. If you do this, you should also vote for at least two other games.’ Does this only apply to Yes votes, or both Yes and No votes?”

The rule doesn’t specify which votes it applies to, so it applies to both.

“I tested three games; can I vote Yes on all of them without voting Yes for anything else? Or do I have to also vote Yes on 2*N other games that I didn’t test?”

The implication to me is that you need to vote on at least two other games that you didn’t test for each vote you give to a game that you did test. This isn’t made clear in the rule, though, so I will probably be lax about it.

And note that the rationale for counting any review as a “yes” vote has been addressed, both in this thread and during last year’s competition.

Neil

I wasn’t aware of the rules at first; I have just been reviewing ifdb games to give the community an idea of what each game is about.

When I found out the rules (after writing a negative review), I reviewed all the games. One game had no link on ifdb, and two games had a lot of profanity, so I didn’t review them because I wouldn’t want anyone in my family thinking they were fine to play due to my reviewing them, if that makes any sense.

Which game has no link?

I don’t have an Allen interpreter, and only play on mobile, so I couldn’t play The Songbird, the Woman, and the Silver Casket.

Matt, thanks for playing and reviewing all those games. Please also consider voting. Just list the games and mark each with a “yes” or “no” for commendation, then send it to me. A PM would work, too.

There’s just under a week for everyone to get their votes to me.

Neil

Has anyone been able to play Songbird on a mac? I tried putting the most up-to-date Alan plugin into Gargoyle, but Gargoyle still won’t run the game.

Songbird wouldn’t play for me either. I tried installing Alan and it wouldn’t work, and I’m afraid I finally just gave up! That’s the only game in the comp that I haven’t managed to play.

Today is the last day for sending me your votes. The voting period ends at 11:59 pm in the Pacific time zone. Show your support for those games you enjoyed! I have several and, like last year, I’m impressed with the output.

Neil

Because of a tie, there are six commended entries for ShuffleComp: Disc 2, listed alphabetically:
False Mavis by Litany Brisket
Molly and the Butter Thieves by Cosmic Hamster
The Skeleton Key of Ambady by Adalai Trammels
Starry Seeksorrow by Ayla Rose
To Spring Open by Two-Bit Chip
When the Land Goes Under the Water by Nikephoros De Kloet

Congratulations to everyone who submitted a game, and thanks to everyone who participated and helped in any way. In addition to IFDB, the games are still available at nigeljayne.ca/shufflecomp2015games.html

All the songs are available at nigeljayne.ca/scd2-songs.html

I will publish all the pseudonyms later today. If authors want to reveal their identities, go ahead and start another thread.

Neil

Woo! Neil, thanks for organizing and running the comp. I’m happy with the results, and I honestly enjoyed all of the submitted games. I suppose it’s too soon to think about whether this should become a yearly tradition, but I’m glad you decided to make a Disc 2 come together!