Running Script gives a different output than typing commands

When I run the script:
I get a message that says “This provokes no reaction.”.

when I run the individual commands by typing each one the game works.
this is under 6G60.

Room 1 is a room.

a man called the Cop is in Room 1.

instead of telling the Cop about “thief”:
if the thief is unspotted:
say “You tell the cop you were roobed but you didn’t get a good look at the robber. He promises to help find the thief.”;
otherwise if the thief is spotted:
say “The cop tells you that the thief was caught.”

Room 2 is east of Room 1.
a man called Mike is in Room 2.
instead of asking Mike about “thief”:
now the thief is spotted;
say “He was spotted in a nasty area of the city.”.

there is a man called the thief.
the thief is either spotted or unspotted.

test me with “Tell cop about thief/east/ ask mike about thief/west/tell cop about thief.”.
[/b]

It took me a bit of screwing around with it before I realised that I have already encountered this bug before. Only the very last command in a sequence of ‘test’ commands is vulnerable to this bug, so one workaround is to put a useless dummy throwaway command after the last testing command. (In this case, I used ‘look’ but it doesn’t really matter what you tack on. Also in my earlier screwing around I took the liberty of enclosing the ‘thief’ topic in square brackets and forcing the actual thief object into scope specifically when the player is asking or telling – this allows the player to refer to the thief object by any of its synonyms. I thought it might act as a workaround, but it made no difference: adding a LOOK to the end of the testing script is what did the trick here.)

[code]Room 1 is a room.

a man called the Cop is in Room 1.

instead of telling the Cop about “[thief]”:
if the thief is unspotted:
say “You tell the cop you were roobed but you didn’t get a good look at the robber. He promises to help find the thief.”;
otherwise:
say “The cop tells you that the thief was caught.”

Room 2 is east of Room 1.

a man called Mike is in Room 2.

instead of asking Mike about “[thief]”:
now the thief is spotted;
say “He was spotted in a nasty area of the city.”.

there is a man called the thief.

the thief is either spotted or unspotted.

After deciding the scope of the player while asking about:
place the thief in scope.

After deciding the scope of the player while telling about:
place the thief in scope.

test me with “Tell cop about thief/east/ask mike about thief/west/tell cop about thief/look.”[/code]
Paul.

EDIT: Never mind. I didn’t notice that there is another version of this thread. For others who come across this version: the problem is with the period at the end of the final test command, not the final test command itself. Glad I know that now since as I said I have made this mistake before, myself.