JJMcC's SpringThing24 A-S-2-T

Provisora Parko by Dawn Sueoka
Played:
4/16/24
Playtime: 15min

This work is the second Back Garden entry that would feel perfectly at home in the Main Festival. It is a fully realized work that really weaves a spell. A full-on Dada exercise, it leans into dream-logic more effectively than any work I can think of. To the extent there is a frame to this, the protagonist is wandering around some rundown tropical resort. Yeah, that’s it. Everywhere they (she? probably she.) goes, eerie stuff happens around her. Human sized cats. An extended airport luggage claim sequence, where luggage are bird masks. Sugar sculptures of off-putting folktales. Sassy teens. All of it taken in stride by the protagonist.

The text is magnetic. It conveys so much, so singularly, with economy and punch. Each encounter is starkly realized, yet has its own vibe. Most of us have a limited well of imagery to draw on. When composing absurd Dada, it can become all too easy for fascinations, phrasings or images to repeat or resonate with each other in a way that ultimately constrains the implementation. This author is wildly, perhaps distressingly, without bounds. I found the encounters to be singular and unique, and that breadth of vision coupled with the protagonist’s even responses set the tone of the piece more than any other thing. I cannot laud the vision and articulation highly enough.

I particularly like the head fake of the luggage claim sequence. Pretending to ‘wake up’ only to discover no, still immersed in weird. The most effective use of interactivity for me, were the links that replaced text on the page. The linked text was tightly integrated into the page layout in a smart way that ALSO reinforced the weirdness of the links. Even the navigation links, while not providing much influence over things (you are always going to click all the links), nevertheless provided a sense of exploration.

If I have a quibble with this piece, it is ‘What is the point of it?’ There are four endings that only kind of resonate with the one choice you get to determine it. And only kind of resonate with the antecedents to that choice. Very much of a piece with the vibe of the thing, and very much aligned with the mission statement of Dada. So I guess my problem is with Dadaism? Except, there is a robust credits sequence that suggests there might be something decodable in the symbolism of the piece. Yeah, given the idiosyncrasies of my life journey, I’ve got no hope of decoding any of that.

Ultimately, it is a tight mood piece of fascinating breadth and weirdness and I sure appreciate it on that level. To the extent there are more layers I can’t find, my loss I guess? In my favorite words of the piece:

maybe I'm the bird and she's the asshole

Wait. No. The other way around.

Mystery, Inc: I dunno, Scooby I guess? Maybe this is how he dreams? Weird dog.
Vibe: Deep dream
Polish: Smooth
Gimme the Wheel! : No thank you. This work is deeply dependent on authorial voice, and no one else should, ah, aloha with it.

7 Likes

Thanks for your review, JJ ! Noted the problem with ‘Kelly’ and ‘Jill’, and the actual major point for me:

which hints that I’m on the right balance between the diverging EU and US perspective on the matter :slight_smile:

Thanks again, and
Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.

4 Likes

Dear JJ, really big thanks for your encouraging reviews. I will pass them on to the authors. Should your hunger for crypt keeping remain still strong after the Thing is over, feel free to get in touch.

3 Likes

:rofl: I loved this review, JJ, thank you! And haha, I can only imagine Scoobyʻs dreams–especially with all those “snacks” he eats. Masks upon masks upon masks, maybe?

2 Likes