Introducing Ourselves

Hey, figured I’d add to the hellos. I’m Jb. 25 from a small island, called Grand Manan…it’s in New Brunswick Canada, haha. I couldn’t be tucked any farther away, unless I lived on Nantucket, or on great duck, which are small islands off the coast of Grand Manan, haha.

ahh, I love IF…

The first IF game I can ever remember playing, was the Hugo series, back when our first computer ran on Dos. I loved those games. I’m not sure if that even counts as IF or not, but they were great. I loved hugo house of horrors, and who done it, I think was the other one in the series…also the one in the jungle where you have to save penelope or what ever her name was…

other than text graphic games I loved point and click…Some of the kings quest games are legendary!

That’d be KQ7, then.

I visited the Maritimes a few years ago. I didn’t get to Grand Manan – spent most of my time on PEI, but I guess its in the general neighborhood. Had a great time – lots of good food and good music, with good beer to wash it all down.

Robert Rothman

You went to an island, ate lots of food and drank beer. That’s a fucking twisted story. You’re one dark and edgy dude.

Hello! I’m Courtney, 21 and from Ohio, USA. I’m currently in my fourth year of college and should graduate in May.

I’m very new to the world of IF, and was introduced to the medium via my IMS238 course (IMS=Interactive Media Studies) that I’m in right now. Our final project is to build a complete IF by the end of the semester. I have to say that I really like it. I’m still struggling along to learn how to play and how to build, but so far it has been a fun ride. So I hope to have a good time here with everyone.

Oh, well, you don’t have to like them particularly, but you have to admit that KQ6 is very impressive in depth.

A depth that I haven’t seen because it kept killing me until I put it back on the shelf, where it’s waiting for the day when I’ll give it a second chance.

(I am aware that KQ6 is generally considered the best of the series and that KQ fans generally look down on number seven, but I quite liked KQ7 and haven’t been able to finish any of the others.)

Oh, I can understand that completely. :slight_smile: But I think when that “second chance” day comes you’ll find it more enjoyable… now that you know what to expect in terms of gameplay, and how to adjust your strategies accordingly. It’s how I got to the end of Avon (enjoying it, even), after giving up in disgust my first time around.

Well, that and hints. But a lot less hints that I would have thought.

Incidently, while I understand why most fans look down on KQ7, my personal take is: their loss if they can’t appreciate it for what it is. Still, KQ8 gave them some perspective, heh?

I loved the text graphic games too. I liked the text based games better, even though the parer was terrible, and the graphics looked like chunks. But, to me, it felt like so much more fantasy was put into the game-play than the later point and clicks. (Monkey Island not included) … Games like Larry & Space Quest was my favorites. But Police Quest and Kings Quest wasn’t bad either.

I suppose I should go ahead and introduce myself since I’ve posted a few times on the forum already. My name’s Troy Jones; I’m 35 and live in Alabama.

I played IF when I was a kid, although I wasn’t familiar with the term “IF” then-- they will always be “text adventures” to me. Enchanter was probably my favorite from that time. I also really liked the old Sierra adventure games like Space Quest, Quest for Glory, etc, which were very similar to text adventures, except with a lot of painfully slow walking all the way across the screen.

I only became aware of the current IF hobbyist scene a couple of years ago when I randomly ran across the Inform 7 site. I’d been meaning to get into it since then, but I’ve only recently been making a serious effort at writing something that other people might find worth reading. I may or may not have that something ready for next Spring Thing-- I guess we’ll find out soon enough.

1 Like

haha, so true. Welcome to the forums trojo :slight_smile:.

Leisure Suit Larry sure brings back some fond memories.

Hi guys, I’m The Xenographer (here, on IFDB, and on the ifMUD), also known as E. Joyce when something resembling a real name is required. I am oddly squeamish about giving out my full name on the internet, sorry.

Anyway, although I’m pretty young as IF fans go, I played some commercial text adventures back in middle school thanks to my dad, who was into text adventures back when they were the only game(s) in town, and somehow eventually I stumbled onto modern IF. I can’t for the life of me remember how I found it, but I’m glad I did. I’ve been skulking about, playing the games but not really engaging with the community, for 6+ years; it wasn’t until I started writing my first piece of IF a couple months ago that I realized that (a) none of my friends were interested in IF at all and (b) I really wanted to talk to people who were. So I’ve been getting more involved since then, although I’m still pretty lurk-y.

(I’ve since finished the game, which “won” the Saugus.net Halloween competition this year by virtue of being the only entrant, and have wildly ambitious ideas for several future projects which may or may not ever materialize.)

I guess that’s about it. Nice to meet you all!

1 Like

Sounds promising.
Welcome, Xenographer!

Welcome, Xenographer! Happy for your involvement in the community. Especial thanks for your much appreciated votes in Ectocomp 2011.

Well, if the projects ever do get finished, they’re probably not going to end up anywhere near as ambitious as they were when originally conceived. (Isn’t that always how it goes?) Anyway, thanks!

No problem! It was a fun thing to do over Thanksgiving whenever I needed some time off from family togetherness.

Hi.

I’m Morten.
I am a Norwegian, aged somewhere between 44 and 46.
I live with my wife,dog and some cats in a small “cabin - out in the forest”. To the south you’ll find a neighbour. Evey other directions is forest as far as you can see.

(Actually, it is a house, but it is somewhat in the forest).

The silence out here is amazing.
I’m educated as a Multimedia Engineer (whatever that means).
I’m very fond of interactivity and non-linearity. I’ve been into that since I first discovered the interactive possibilites on my cbm64 back then. I love games.

And I love Interactive fiction. Although I haven’t spent that much time with it the last years I’ve never forgotten the impact text-adventures had on me. Personally I would rate The Pawn and Guild of Thieves higher, and more important to me than - for instance - Doom and Quake.

I’m quite into Photoshop and that kinda stuff as well, but my main love is music. I play guitar (and other instruments) and have finally been able to setup a small personal studio here.

It ain’t much time left for tv and movies, but I do like a good tv-show and a good movie.

I also love to write.

So, I wrote some small adventure-games in GAC on cbm64 way back then. I feel the urge to write some more now.

Guess that’s me.

M:)rten

Hi there E.Joyce!
If you are ‘The Xenographer’, why are you writing in English?

Well, I could write in Spanish, German, or Japanese (or maybe even a few other languages if what I was saying was very basic), but on an English-language forum I suspect that might confuse a few people. :wink:

I’m David Griffith and I’ve been involved with IF off and on since at least 1996. In 2000 I picked up the development of Frotz from Stefan Jokisch. I haven’t written many works of IF that I care to admit to. As a followup to my conversion of “Shadowgate”, I have a conversion of “Uninvited” that should be ready in a few months. When not playing with IF, I play with synthesizers, bagpipes, old computers, radio, electrical and electronic stuff, random programming bits, etc. I’m a Linux/BSD/Unix programmer and system administrator by trade and currently looking for fulltime employment. Contracting isn’t paying as well as I hoped. I also sell vintage computer parts on Ebay under the name “Frotz661”.

I much preferred discussing IF on Usenet, but it seems that everyone bailed out for this place. Hi.

1 Like