Inform 7 release 6M62

It ran fine for me Jim. Same OS as your using. I’d suggest you turn off Avast! completely while you install. I don’t know what they did to it, (I was a die hard user for years) but it started getting lots of false positives. Avast! became a PITA to use so I switched to another anti-virus.

If Inform installs and still won’t run once you reactivate Avast!, you may have to add an “exception” setting that lists the Inform.exe application.

Cheers

The lay guy in the audience wonders whether there’s a memory leak of some sort.

I use Avast too, but I’ve learned the hard way it can be too zealous. Turn it off completely for 10m (it has that option), then try again, maybe?

Nuku_v, it sorta looks like Inform is trying to access read-only files. I suppose you could try to make sure none of your files are read-only (I know you have a lot of extensions), and backing up all of your game’s data (extensions included), uninstalling I7 completely, and re-installing?

Let me emphasize the “lay” again, but hey, when did knowing too little ever stop anyone from butting im? :slight_smile: However, lay as I am, I have had I7 trouble because of an installation or two where files didn’t go where they were supposed to - either that or, more likely, I was manually organising things incorrectly, sorting extensions, not even realising that there was a “built-in extension folder” with which some of my downloads were conflicting.

Turns out you’re absolutely right. Avast was blocking the installer silently. It really ought to run a pop-up alert when it blocks a program. It then blocked the I7 IDE app. Adding an exclusion to its list of exclusions solved the problem.

Of course, the assumption we’re both making here is that there isn’t a virus embedded in Inform…

Peter: Tried it, didn’t work. Bug sumitted.

I’m glad it worked out for you Jim. :slight_smile:

For me the installer worked but I just end up with three ni.exe *32 processes and an Inform7.exe *32 process that seemingly have stalled and task manager is unable to close them (meaning only way to kill them is via restart). Same problem repeats on successive restarts. OS is Windows 7 AMD Athlon II x64, 4GB RAM. About half hour later still there, no windows or other signs of life.

PS: It sounds like from other posters Avast may be the issue. I’ll just skip the six days it has left, uninstall it and install Comodo Internet Security like I was going to six days from now.

PSS: Switching to Comodo Internet Security allowed 6M62 to start working (in fact the ‘dead’ ni.exe and Inform 7.exe processes woke up during Avast uninstalling) so the bug is indeed Avast.

Yeah I had to switch for Comodo on my other programming tower since even #include main() {std::cout << “Hello, World!” << endl;} would generate an exe that flagged as a threat (though was clean on an actual scan). Comodo and that problem went away.

Did anyone happen to save the changelog before it disappeared? Both the txt and epub are gone now.

(Also, Linux version is here now!)

The whole website looks pretty badly messed up when I access it - hopefully that’ll be fixed soon!

Anyway I happened to download the epub this afternoon - I’ve attached it, with the extension changed to “.txt” so I could upload it here. If anyone has trouble with the file I can post it somewhere else.
ChangestoInform.txt (503 KB)

Just got an email from Mantis reporting that the “version panel that moves and blocks the workspaces bug when resizing the window” bug has been “fixed.” However there does not appear to be a download available with that issue corrected. At what point will a usable version of the 6M62 build be released? Or will this have to await the next major release in some future year?

I’ve been wondering the same thing. If I can say this without sounding snarky (unlikely), I think this question warrants an official response.

I’m also curious about this. There are a number of problems I’ve encountered which make Scroll Thief completely unworkable in 6M62: for example, the grammar lines for spellcasting mean that any “answering it that” action throws a run-time problem, and the new topic-parsing rules lead to infinite loops when giving multiple commands to an NPC.

Inform core updates are under Graham’s control; IDE updates are under the maintainer’s control (Toby Nelson’s for the Mac). Typically what happens is that IDE bugs are fixed and re-uploaded as new versions on the same page – that is, you’ll see a new Mac 6M62 version at some point.

The Scroll Thief problems are tougher. Both of the problems you describe are changes to the parser internals; they may not count as bugs. (The second one might – did you file it?) You may have to find new ways of doing things.

In the interest of Internet politeness and good will, I am not going to comment on this.

Thanks!

The new compile bar on the Windows version is very, very cute!

But I’m having “ni.exe” crashes on my laptop. Happens on startup and every time an extension is downloaded from the Public Library. The IDE keeps working on as if nothing had happened, just the error pops up. So certainly a minor issue.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: ni.exe
Application Version: 0.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 56839569
Fault Module Name: ni.exe
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 56839569
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0000b4b7
OS Version: 6.3.9600.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1046
Additional Information 1: 5861
Additional Information 2: 5861822e1919d7c014bbb064c64908b2
Additional Information 3: a10f
Additional Information 4: a10ff7d2bb2516fdc753f9c34fc3b069

Considering I have two machines, both with Windows 8.1 64 Bit, and this only happens on the laptop, I’m guessing it’s some dependency I’m missing?

EDIT:

Correction: This happens on both machines. Might be a Windows 8.1 64 Bit error. Or is anyone else on Win 8.1 64 Bit not getting this?

The Inform 7 website appears to be back to normal. The 6M62 changelog can be browsed. Thanks to everyone who worked to get the manual and the other pages online. Everything is up to date now except the news page - that hasn’t been updated since May 2014. I hope the Gnome Inform 7 packages for Linux are available soon.

How does one open the Standard Rules in the OS X IDE for 6M62? In 6L38 and previous versions, you could go in the File menus to “Open Extension,” and it would give sideloading (is that the word?) menus for every extension author, so one could go to Graham Nelson and then to Standard Rules. In 6M62 the File menu option is to “Open Installed Extension,” which yields nothing (or rather, a greyed-out “New Extension”).

“Open Installed Extension >” should give you a list of authors which includes both built-in extensions and ~/Library/Extensions.

I sort of figured it should, but it don’t. Unfortunately this seems like the sort of thing that is probably down to eccentricities of my computer (still running 10.7.5); at least, I don’t see how the results I’m getting can be entirely caused by the existence of old stuff in ~/Library/Extensions the way my Rideable Vehicles problem was.