IF and Linux

Whoah, how? When I tried installing it, it told me something along the lines of “I need these libraries, but I’m not going to install them, and no, I won’t tell you why.” And when I tried to automatically resolve the issue, it just deleted gnome-inform7.

Linux Mint is based on Ubuntu, right? Which version of Ubuntu? The .deb on the Inform 7 website is compiled for Ubuntu 11.04 and doesn’t work on earlier versions, so you might need to use this .deb instead. It’s the same version of Inform 7, just compiled for Ubuntu 10.10 instead of 11.04.

If neither .deb is working for you, it might be a problem specific to Linux Mint. Let us know which libraries are causing the issue and we’ll see if we can help you get it working.

That’s what happens when I try to install the package provided by Synaptic Package Manager. BTW, I’m using Debian.

Okay, says I, and try to install libwebkit-1.0.1:

It does say however that I do have libwekit-1.0.2 installed, but apparently it does nothing.

EDIT:

And when I do apt-get -f install, it just uninstalls gnome-inform7:

Oh, sorry, I just assumed you were the original poster. Not paying attention… :blush:

The Debian gnome-inform7 was packaged for Lenny, which supplied libwebkit-1.0-1, but later versions of Debian no longer include it. You’d better report it as a bug on the Inform 7 bug tracker and ask for a new Debian package to be built, with the correct dependencies. (Especially since Lenny is now officially obsolete.) I don’t know how long that will take to be fixed, but when Ubuntu 11.04 came out and the old Ubuntu packages stopped working, it wasn’t that long before a new package was released.

In the mean time, if you’re impatient, you could try building it from source

I will have to mess with this again, too. It’s the only thing that I wasn’t immediately able to get up and running with Linux Mint Debian Edition when I switched from Ubuntu 10.04.

The .deb package for 6G60 dated 17 July 2011 worked just swimmingly for my Linux Mint Debian Edition. Now if the Army would stop using proprietary formats for digitally signing documents, I could get rid of my Windows partition on this machine…

Has anyone tried installing Inform 7 on Slackware 13.37 ?

I tried but got too many compiling errors…so I guess im stuck with I6 for now

What about a native CLI interpreter. Gargoyle and zoom are both cool but both require an X session to be active. I’d like to be able to play my games from anywhere by simply SSHing to my box.

There’s many of them. Either designed for terminals (Frotz, Fizmo, FrobTADS) or running through GlkTerm (Git, Glulxe).

I haven’t yet found one that runs zblorb files. But hey, I’m pretty much a n00b in IF. :slight_smile:

nfrotz is a terminal-window interpreter that handles zblorb.

Allright! :slight_smile: Tnx! :slight_smile:

The update-alternatives error can be handled with

# ln -s /usr/bin/inform /usr/bin/inform-6.31

and running [code]

apt-get install

[/code] or [code]

aptitude install

[/code] (according to which is your preference) afterwards.

I’m on Arch Linux, and I had a lot of trouble when I first started trying to setup IF interpreters. At first, I wanted to use all native software. Arch Linux is a lightweight distribution, though, and the user repository people usually follow that philosophy. Interpreters like Zoom and Scarce were not built with multimedia support. Really the only thing I got working without any problems was QTads, and like 90% of the IF I’ve played is from Inform, not TADS. Support for glk seems to be especially terrible on Linux. When I tried to build glulx, I didn’t know whether to use gtkglk or xglk, but in the end it didn’t matter because neither seem to be in active development and none of them would build on my system. x_x

In the end, I gave up and installed the Windows version of Gargoyle in wine, which seems to be the most widely-compatible solution and provides a very attractive, consistent interface for all my IF. Well, except for those few TADS games, for which I use the much less pretty but very multimedia capable QTads.

One thing I can be thankful for is gnome-inform7. Generally, I don’t like my software to have a lot of unnecessary dependencies (If you can stick with GTK and forgo gnome/kde, I’m more likely to use your software rather than an alternative), but I hope someone has given that Chimento fellow a pat on the back recently, because the linux Inform7 IDE is rock solid.

Is there a reason you’re not using Gargoyle’s native Gtk layer under Linux? There’s even an ArchLinux package for it.

Also, Grotesque deserves a mention (along with its ArchLinux package.)

I downloaded Gargoyle at the suggestion of the wiki, which implies that the linux version does not fully support zblorb files. Grotesque looks interesting. I’ll read up on it some more, thanks. :slight_smile:

I’m not aware of any shortcomings in the way Gargoyle handles zblorb files on Linux. The blorb loading and interpreter selection code is the same on all platforms.

This wasn’t true before last year’s release, though. Before then, Gargoyle under Gtk was launched from a command line shell script.

It’s possible that this rumor got started because of Floatpoint, which (incorrectly) has a zblorb extension despite being a Glulx story file. The shell script wasn’t smart enough to handle this case, and would try to load it with Frotz.

The current launcher is smart enough, but gets overridden by the default .ini settings, which enforce opening .zblorb files with a particular interpreter. This allows players to easily switch between Frotz, Nitfol, and Bocfel, at the cost of subverting the blorb-handling logic. So the .ini also contains a setting to force Floatpoint to be loaded with Glulxe.

Hacks within hacks, I know, but at least I’ve stopped getting bug reports about it.

Ah, ok. I switched to the Linux version and haven’t run into any problems. Thanks. :slight_smile:

Hello,

just adding to the thread with a new problem.
Recently, someone posted an adrift demo “Spectre of Castle Coris” which is an exe file.
Linux gargoyle does not like it. Adrift runner needs mono.
But when I try to install mono-runtime on my debian, I only get an apparently broken mono installation.
=> “The entry point method could not be loaded”
Anyone with more success here? Any tricks?
Also, I don’t know adrift format. Any chance to get the exe-format running at all?

Thanks,
Matthias.

I think the .exe file is a Windows executable file that wraps the game and the latest ADRIFT Runner in one executable. And Gargoyle doesn’t support ADRIFT 5 either, since this is more recent than the last version of Gargoyle ^^ So running ADRIFT 5 games can (I think) only be done in Windows right now.

Sorry, I think you’re going to have to use Wine!