I7: Numbers with thousands separated by commas

Hello all,

Is there a way in I7 to display large numbers with commas separating the thousands; 12,000 FEET, 13,500 FEET, &c.?

Many thanks,

J. J. Guest

Not built in. You’d have to write it.

Suspected as much. Thanks Zarf.

I’m in the process of porting my TADS 2 game, To Hell in a Hamper, over to I7, which, considering that I’ve written much larger and more complex I7 games, is proving much more of a headache than I imagined. (For my reasons, see this thread [url]https://intfiction.org/t/npapi-no-longer-supported-in-chrome-firefox/8636/1])

In the original TADS 2 code, the altitude of the balloon was expressed as a three-digit number called startroom.height, which started at 120.

I simply converted the number into a string using the function cvtstr( num ), and then used the substr( str, ofs, len ) to find the first, second and third letters of the string:

heightVerb: darkVerb verb = 'height' sdesc = "height" action(Actor) = { "The balloon is "; say(substr(cvtstr(startroom.height),1,2)); ","; say(substr(cvtstr(startroom.height),3,1)); "00 feet above the ground. "; say(startroom.height); } ;

I can’t find any way to do this in I7. What’s more, and I may be looking in the wrong places, but I can’t find any way to do this in I6 either.

An alternative approach would be to divide the altitude by 100 (call this X)

Then round down X to the nearest whole number to give the first digit (call this Y)

Then subtract the whole number Y from X to give the remainder (Z), and multiply Z by 100 to give the last two digits.

The problem with this approach is that I can’t find any way in I7 to return a whole number.

Any help / ideas would be greatly appreciated!

I7 handles numbers as integers so they’re automatically truncated.

You can add the commas with this recursive code, which works for all positive numbers:

To decide which text is (N - a number) with commas:
	let R be "[the remainder after dividing N by 1000]";
	if N is greater than 1000:
		let R be "[N divided by 1000 with commas],[R]";
	decide on R.

The description of the balloon is "The balloon is [height of balloon with commas] feet above the ground."

If you know that the number is always smaller than one million, a regex solution might be more elegant (YMMV):

To decide which text is (N - a number) with commas:
	let R be "[N]";
	replace the regular expression "(\d+)(\d{3})$" in R with "\1,\2";
	decide on R.

Juhana, you’re a marvel. Thank you!

Here’s a slightly more verbose version of the string manipulation solution:

[code]To say (N - a number) with commas:
let T be “[N]”;
let len be the number of characters in T;
while len > 3:
let D be character number (len - 3) in T;
replace character number (len - 3) in T with “[D],”;
now len is len - 3;
say T.

When play begins: say “[432 with commas]; [1002 with commas]; [12323 with commas]; [12345678 with commas]; [1234567890 with commas].”
Lab is a room. [necessary to make it compile]
[/code]

The key is replacing a character with the character followed by the comma–this effectively inserts the comma after the character. I put in a lot of temporary variable names that aren’t strictly necessary to make the code slightly less difficult to read, though maybe this obscures the fact that D and character number (len - 3) in T are the same thing. Also note that let T be “[N]” casts the numerical representation of N into text, which is what I’m guessing cvtstr does in TADS 3.

Here’s a version with no string manipulation at all, which makes it the fast solution:

To say (N - number) with commas:
	if N < 0:
		say "-";
		now N is 0 - N;
	if N >= 1000:
		let M be N / 1000;
		say M with commas;
		say ",";
		now N is N - ( M * 1000 );
		if N < 100:
			say "0";
		if N < 10:
			say "0";		
	say N.

A belated thank you for all these answers! I’ve been away for a few days.

I had no idea you could even write things like “let len be the number of characters in T”…

Very enlightening!

– Jason