Ectocomp 2013

When I look at the forum time, it says 1:28am on the 30th, so it should be about 23 hrs…no?

Hi, the Competition actually ends Midnight GMT. Sorry, thought this was in the original post.

[emote]:([/emote] Can I have an extension? I was really counting on midnight EDT; I have an hour-plus of work left to do and can’t really get to it until my children are in bed tonight.

I submitted my quickly-made semi-spooky game to Jason Guest over a week ago. Why am I finally talking about it? Because I just signed up for the Intfiction forum. For a whole year, I’ve been part of the IF scene, and I didn’t feel like the forum would be good for me. But after navigating it a bit, I saw the user-friendly aspects of it, and finally signed up today. My Ectocomp game is an HTML CYOA (so none of those rotten JavaScript glitches my IF Comp game that is currently running has). Do you dare come toward that spooky whooshing sound or that scary whistle music? I dare you!

Since you’ve already done 2 hours work, I’ll extend the deadline (for everyone) by six hours to 6 AM 31st October, Greenwich Mean Time. That way I can upload the games and judging sheet to my website before I go to work. Does that help?

Jason

The rumours are true - this is going to be a bumper Ectocomp with a record number of entries!

Also – I’m not sure if this has been mentioned in this thread before, apologies if it has – but Jizaboz has very kindly added to the prize pool two DVDs:

House by the Cemetery DVD (US Region)
and
7 Doors of Death DVD (US Region)

If it turns out that the winner is unable to play Region 1 DVDs, I will substitute something else.

Jason

For those of us in this part of the word, this translate to:

2:00 AM (eastern)
1:00 AM (central)
12:00 AM (mountain)
11:00 PM (pacific)

Awesome, thanks! Hope this isn’t too much of an inconvenience; after I posted I realized you might’ve wanted to upload them at midnight (your time) and go to bed.

I talked some of my Hacker School costudents into jamming on some Ectocomp games, and it was their first time with Inform. I don’t think they’re planning on submitting, though. (Another costudent made a Ren’Py game.)

Here we have my first two published games ever…
What have I done? emote:shock:[/emote]
Well, hello and Happy Halloween Eve.

This is scaring me into entering!

Hmmmm…that extension may just give me time to create another entry…Have to see if I can think of any ideas I can reasonably do in 3 hours.

Submission en route now from me + Colin Sandel. Yayyy Ectocomp!

Submitted! At least I think I submitted it; we’re supposed to e-mail it to Jason, right?

Yes, it should be submitted to jason.guest, and that address is at gmail.com. Hopefully you get responded to.

Well, given that conversation about time zones, I’m sure Jason is asleep, and I’ll be asleep when he wakes up (unless I read something SPOOKY). But that’s fine – even if I’ve messed up my submission somehow, I can publish it on my website or something. And if I do that, maybe I can try to fix that accursed Does The Player Mean issue – why doesn’t that ever work the way it’s supposed to?

Reference for any (other) last-minuters just in case:

wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/

At last the witching hour is upon us! The diabolical Ectocomp 2013 games are now ready to download! I had a slight panic this morning when Dreamweaver couldn’t connect to my website. Turned out to good old McAfee, preventing its users from accessing the internet since 1987…

If anyone can suggest a better alternative to McAfee for a PC, I’d be glad to hear it.

Anyway, this year we have… drumroll… no fewer than twenty-four entries! More than double the previous record.

“The Nessa Springs Slasher” by Marius Müller
“Crater Creek” by Angela Shah
“The Cenric Family Curse” by Jonathan Snyder
“The Hallway Phantom” by Tyler Zahnke
“Personality Rights” by Sumana Harihareswara
“Trick Or Treat” by Adelynn Snyder
“Hill of Souls” by Angela Shah
“Blackness” by Michael W Phipps Jr
“Jack” by Jason Lautzenheiser
“A Slight Problem with Zombies” by David Whyld
“ZombieDating.zom” by Anonymous
“You are a Blob!” by SoftSoft
“The Voodoo You Do” by Marshal Winter
“Ice House of Horrors” by Sean M. Shore
“Boogle” by Buster Hudson
“The Horrible Pyramid” by Ryan Veeder
“Wisp” by Lea Albaugh
“Chemistry and Physics” by Colin Sandel and Carolyn VanEseltine
“The Tale of the Cursed Eagle” by Slat Leering
“Fish Dreams” by Carolyn VanEseltine
“The Profile” by Mike Snyder
“Faithful Companion” by Matt Weiner
“The Argument-Winner’s Ghost” by Andrew Schultz
“Dead Pavane for a Princess” by Emily Boegheim

This evening, McAfee willing, I promise I will update the Ectocomp page and design a nice new banner, but in the meantime the games can be downloaded from this link:

jjguest.com/ectocomp_2013.zip

Because the there are so many games this year, I’ve decided explicitly to allow half and quarter marks to allow a finer grading system. I did think about making the scoring out of twenty, but somehow it didn’t feel right.

“Boogle” by Buster Hudson can also be played online here:

googledrive.com/host/0B1-c4QlMn … oogle.html

Congratulations to all the entrants, and good luck!

Happy nightmares!

24 entries? That’s… a lot of entries.

Best of luck, everyone, and may the best entry with “zombie” in its title win.

Damn, looks like Jason didn’t get my game. And I sent it twice! [emote]:([/emote]

Edit: Well, I guess I’m not in the comp. I’ll attach my game here anyway, since a piffling 24 games to play clearly isn’t enough for one day. Happy Halloween, all!