Counterfeit Monkey

I’m rather confused here - ending spoilers So I escaped after remaking Atlantica and sacrificing the cold storage woman, but the yacht is empty and there’s nothing i can apparently do - is that it? is there no conclusion other than that dream? Where did Brock and Slango go? I’ve checked every room, i’ve tried to sit down in the pilots chair, drive asks me where i want to drive to, but it won’t accept any destination i can think of. I even loaded back and tried both escaping variants, the roc and the kayak, and oddly enough the roc follows me around the boat despite having text saying he got transformed back - using restoration gel on it gives me the message ‘brock doesn’t want to know any more about that’ or something along those lines. I’m really rather confused. Am I bugged?

I just finished the game, and I enjoyed it. It was the first long IF game that I ever played. I played a lot of graphic adventure games as a kid, but I never really tried text adventures until recently. Actually, it was the description of Counterfeit Monkey that got me interested (maybe because I study linguistics :slight_smile: ), and now I found out that there are tons of games and I want to play more of them.

I found the tutorial and the first puzzles very beginner-friendly, but I also liked that the puzzles got more and more challenging towards the end. For some of them, I had to read the hints in this thread. As a non-native speaker, I had particular trouble making the

oar - I’ve never heard that word before, so I spent a lot of time trying to paddle with the board :slight_smile: I also did not know exactly what a pulley is, although I had an idea what I should do with it, and after fiddling around for a while with the ropes and the hook and attaching and tying, I had to look up how to phrase it. But as far as I understood from reading around in this forum, rope things can be a bit difficult to handle in general.

but other than that, I was happy to find that I could solve many of the puzzles even with a limited vocabulary of English.

As other users reported in this thread, I had some issues with the “shall we suppose we didn’t?” function, too, but it did not make the game unplayable/unwinnable for me (although, like jrb, I also created an all, and I did not manage to get rid of it, so I decided to just keep it; it seemed pretty useful to have it anyway).

Besides all the linguistic fun in the game, I also appreciated the anti-linguistic-purism message.

Best,
Dara

Great game. I loved all the detail put into it and reading into the source a bit it’s astonishing how much deeper it goes. One question.

Is it possible to get the achievement for all letter removal in hard mode?

The wheel and wrap are both missing now. I couldn’t do anything productive with the swimsuit, twisty fossil, or swatch. I can w-remove the w from sword but it makes a sord which kills me. From the source, it seems that a sord is a flock of bird but the description I’m getting is, “With a distinct whiff of fresh air, the sword turns into a sord. Unfortunately, the sord is more than sufficient to bury us under his bulk” which makes it seem like it’s a person and a very large one at that…

hi, i think i may be locked out of victory? i’m on the kayak, but cannot make an oar because i never got rid of the animal controls on the remover before i got into the bureau. so i cannot change a BOARD into a BOAR.

is there any other way to proceed?

thanks.

I’m not aware of any. I think that you may have run into an issue discussed upthread that allows the player to access an area of the game without solving its gating puzzle.

If you have a saved game where you haven’t ever answered yes to a prompt after dying, you can restart from there. Otherwise, you’ll have to start over, following the advice from the post that I quoted: say no and then undo instead of saying yes if you die.

It’s possible that I’m overstating the issue and that you only need to worry if you died trying to access the bureau specifically and then answered yes to the prompt, but I’d play it safe.

i think i found an alternative:

ROCK -> ROC

but if you sacrificed Brock earlier, its still unwinnable. oh well, its an annoying bug but it did give me the excuse to play through the whole thing again, this time getting the “full experience” (dropkick cancans included).

Possibly stupid question: I’m on the yacht. I can’t work out what to do next. I saw the hint posted here about reading the paper, but I can’t see it.

When I type GOALS, it suggests that I should find entry to the Bureau, and try to escape the Bureau, which isn’t much help.

The GOALS output that you report suggests that you’ve fallen afoul of the issue that we’ve been discussing recently in the thread.

I don’t know if there’s any way for you to recover from your current position. Here’s a minimal walkthrough for the end of the game:

(after arriving on the yacht)
get up
open wardrobe
take trousers
wear trousers
take turtleneck
wear turtleneck
fore
read paper

Ah, yes. Looks like I’m locked out of winning, then. Thanks for the explanation, though.

As I mentioned on the other thread, we are trying out a new version of this game with the “Shall we suppose we didn’t?” bug fixed:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/24609432/Counterfeit%20Monkey%20Test.gblorb

Please report any bugs on Github.

Hi. I’m stupid.
Last thing I did was turn my char into a car. I got oil from a fossil and soil. But how exactly do I move away from the western bloc of the map? I can’t seem to be able to move into “High Street”, I guess it’s called, based on the map. So, what am I missing? Am I supposed to have opened the gate locked with a sculpture by this point?

Have you tried putting things on the sculpture?

I actually think I worked out why that works: The only three categories are liquid, smaller than a pebble, and Import Category 5 (consumable, non-botanical). I think it’s mentioned at some point that the pill is small. The pill already fulfills the latter two categories, and having originated from the spill, is easily converted to the remaining category. It’s actually the only thing you can win with; believe me, I’ve tried, but the game will always give you a category to fulfill that you can’t carry out with your available inventory and tools.

Is it possible that someone can provide a list of all the items that can be ambiguous at the t-inserter? I don’t have any of the items mentioned in previous posts, and Brock won’t let me leave.

Off the top of my head, you should always have access to SEER AUTOMATON → STEER AUTOMATON / SETTER AUTOMATON.

It is also possible to bypass this puzzle entirely by

b-removing Brock.

Not sure if this is a bug or a feature.

I sincerely hope folks are still reading this thread! I have gotten through most (?) of the game without getting stuck, but now I am quite stuck, bouncing between the bureau, the bar, and the bus station.

My only goal is to “check the dead drop at the public convenience.” I checked it, and it contains only ash. I tried to pick up the ash, now it is on the floor. So I went into the bureau. I can’t get past the secretary because I don’t have ID. So I went down the Long Street. I can’t go further south on Long Street. I went into the hotel bar and made a jigsaw (the tool.) I have no idea what I’m supposed to do now. I can’t make the ash turn into anything, I can’t get to the University.

Some gentle hints would be appreciated!

Well, here I am, minutes later, replying to my own thread. I swear I had tried this before, but I want to post the solution to anyone who is stuck where I was!

Hint: The ash can be transformed with an article in your possession.
Solution: Use the restoration gel on the ash. Now you can go to the Antiques store!
From that point on it was quite straightforward.

Love this game, but hopelessly stuck trying to get the

anagramming gun in the bureau tools exhibit.

I made it to

the basement of the bureau and finding the odor (obviously an anagram for door) and the anagram bullets, but had to restore a previous game because I didn’t have the anagramming gun. Then there was weirdness where I tried to load the piece, but it simply took me to a blinking cursor again- no message, no nothing. Bugs. How do I get that effing gun?

Why is there no walkthrough for this game available anywhere? After DAYS of trying to figure this out, I’m ready to throw in the towel. I’m now getting confused between all my saved iterations of the game, all because of that stupid display case. Someone put me out of my misery!