Can Gargoyle play Gblorb files?

Real answer: I had a little trouble with that too at first, but then I read the online help on the Gargoyle site and game documentation.
The interpreter can be customized to look like other interpreters and play with other formats.
For instance if you want to play a game in Tads, set it to Tads mode and it will play.
Tads 2 does not have pictures or sounds.
If you are using zblorb and don’t get sound or pictures, you probably have it in Tads mode.
I suggest going to ccxvii.net/gargoyle/ and read the Help, FAQ, and readme.

Does Gargoyle really have online documentation somewhere? It’s news to me; even the wiki is slanted toward developers rather than end users.

It ships with sound and graphics enabled, for several IF formats. There’s no such thing as TADS mode; multimedia TADS is not supported, and text mode is used for all TADS games. Graphics and sound are also not supported for Z-Machine games.

If you’re only having fun at the expense of the original poster, I’d prefer you didn’t spread misleading facts about my project to do it.

Screenshots of several modes.
ccxvii.net/gargoyle/screenshots.html

As you can see, it supports graphics and text in some modes, and only text in others, and yes there were other pages from 1981 to 1997, but they were taken down to make way for links to the expanding Brass Lantern, Intfiction Database, and the brand new Inform 7 site.

No, I was not making fun of him.
If I was, I wouldn’t write the first line.

I already said it doesn’t support Tads 3, only Tads 2.

Noob, you do realise that you’re arguing with Ben Cressey, the current maintainer of Gargoyle, right? I’m sure he knows a lot more about the program than either you or me, and when he says that there’s no such thing as a TADS mode, you can be sure that’s the way it is. (What you’re seeing on that page you linked is simply screenshots of different games, not different modes.) You’re also wrong when you say that it doesn’t support TADS 3.

I wonder why it came like that when I downloaded it. :unamused:
Isn’t it possibles that he forgot exactly how he coded it in 1994?
He didn’t even remember there were other pages to his site!

bcressey, there are games you can play on it.
Just because the default screen is for developers doesn’t mean the entire use for it is.
By the way, my main format is either Tads 2 or Tads 3 (HTML Tads Playkit).

You should trust what Ben said. TADS 2 and TADS 3 both support graphics/sound. It’s just that Gargoyle, due to it using the Glk versions of TADS2/3, does not support graphics in TADS.

You can read more about HTML TADS vs Plain TADS here:

tads.org/html_vs_text.htm

And this does have nothing to do with TADS 2 vs TADS 3. Both can be either multimedia/html, or plain text.

I know all that.
Tads 3 is HTML (multimedia)
Tads 2 is what he calls “plain tads” which does not have the same interface.
Tads 1 worked on a Z-Machine like Windows Frotz.
Tads 2 managed to be integrated with Tads 3 in the HTML interpreter, but take away the HTML code, and no pictures can be seen.

I should say no conventional pictures.
Remember when you were an adolescent and thought making the word 130013 (BOOB) was hilarious?
That’s the kind of picture Tads 2 has.

You should stop for a while and actually read what people are telling you. (Hint: Your previous post is completely made up of false statements.) Or are you simply spreading misinformation for the fun of it, in which case, please stop it. It’s not fun.

The problem is that you think “you know all that”, but you really don’t. Tads 3 and Tads 2 both can be multimedia, and both can be text-only. Whether an interpreter supports HTML TADS or not has nothing to do with Tads 2 vs Tads 3. HTML TADS is not tied to Tads 3.

For example, here is a Tads 2 game with graphics:

ifdb.tads.org/viewgame?id=u0e6pwz03097ijx6

To see the graphics, you need an interpreter for Tads 2 games that supports HTML TADS.

That’s what I said to begin with!

Can we just drop it now?

For Gblorb you should get Filfre.

No, it isn’t. You said:

A game made in Tads 3 can be HTML or plain.
A game made in Tads 2 can also be either HTML or plain.
Tads 1 was not based on the z-machine. (I’ve never actually seen a TADS 1 game, so I could be wrong here, but someone else will correct me if I am.)
Tads 2 is not limited to ASCII pictures, it can display both jpeg and png images.

If you want to disagree further, please reference sources that support your claims or I will simply conclude that you’re trolling. (I do already suspect that, but I’m giving you the benefit of the doubt.)

“Tads 2 managed to be integrated with Tads 3 in the HTML interpreter, but take away the HTML code, and no pictures can be seen.”
That’s what I said.

Anyway I’d like to stop all this bickering before it becomes a flame fest (see TOS).

Sorry, but it really doesn’t seem like you understand.

TADS 2 and 3 are two different VMs, similar to the difference between Z-Machine and Glulx. The difference between the VMs does not concern UI stuff, but stuff like the memory model, how calculations are performed, and the object system.

Both VMs have a simple text UI system.

HTML TADS is an optional UI system which can be used by both the TADS 2 and 3 VMs, and is similar to how Glk can be used by both Glulx and JACL.

Gargoyle is a Glk interpreter, and includes a system which can converts TADS’ simple text UI into Glk. It doesn’t support HTML TADS because Glk doesn’t have the capacity to do so. Once Zarf’s CSS/HTML Glk proposal is finalised then perhaps it might be possible to convert from HTML TADS to Glk.

Also, HTML Tads existed even before Tads 3 was even in development yet. It wasn’t Tads 3 that introduced multimedia. It’s actually vice versa; when Tads 3 appeared, it used (and still does) the already existing multimedia framework that Tads 2 uses. And that’s because that multimedia framework is not tied to the Tads VM. It only concerns the interpreter’s ability to handle the HTML code printed by the game and it doesn’t matter whether that game is Tads 2 or 3.

You could even make a Z-Code or Glulx game print HTML code. Because that’s exactly what happens here; a Tads game prints HTML code just like it prints all other text. It’s just that the interpreter can intercept and parse that HTML code.

I thought HTML Tads and Tads 3 were one in the same.
Anyway you are all saying what I stated originally stated, Gargoyle doesn’t support multimedia.
What I said was it plays Tads without multimedia.

Do me a favor and download a game call Arrival.
It’s in HTML Tads, but you’ll be able to play it without pictures in Gargoyle as I often did.

So you all know i am a her not a him. I am not upset, it’s just that everyone is calling me a he.

:bulb: Maybe if the admin put a gender space in the user control panel, we wouldn’t get confused.

Quick explanation:
From https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Maverick_Meerkat#Ubuntu_10.10_.28Maverick_Meerkat.29

Answer to question:
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/maverick/+package/gargoyle-free (does play Tads, does not play HTML Tads).

I have no idea why your sound and pictures won’t work.
Maybe you installed the wrong version of Gargoyle.
There is a big difference between the 1988 version and the 1989 version.