6E59 is going live

Wouldn’t “bugs.inform7.com” make more sense?

inform7.com/bugs/ redirects to the same place, fwiw.

Computer troubles are indeed the reason. I’ll try to have them up on Saturday or Sunday.

For the curious, the issue was in my code:

To say bold type (documented at foobar):  

Removing the “documented at” parenthetical cleared the issue right up. Sorry for the Oh Noes moment.

I stopped working with Inform 7 over the winter because my project couldn’t proceed until a few various 5Z71 bugs/limits were addressed.

One of the major stumbling-blocks to my progress was the “limit of fifty kinds of value” bug. I was considering downloading the new version of Inform and starting my IF work again, but while looking through the changelog I didn’t see any clear reference to whether or not this particular problem had been fixed. One possibly relevant line refers only to kinds rather than kinds of value:

Does this statement mean the “limit on kinds of value” problem was fixed, does it refer to some unrelated problem, or was the “limit on kinds of value” bug otherwise fixed but simply overlooked in the changelog? I did receive a response to my bug report saying this issue would be taken care of in the latest release, but since the changelog is a bit vague about the whole matter I wanted to be sure before I look at the 6E59 since I wouldn’t be able to accomplish much unless this problem was fixed.

Thanks in advance for any answer to this question.

Post a minimal program showing the bug, and we can try it out and see.

@Ron

Here’s the example I sent in to the Inform staff in my bug report about that particular problem:

[code]The testarea is a room.

alphaalpha is a kind of value. The alphaalphas are aa and ab.
betaalpha is a kind of value. The betaalphas are ac and ad.
charliealpha is a kind of value. The charliealphas are ae and af.
deltaalpha is a kind of value. The deltaalphas are ag and ah.
echoalpha is a kind of value. The echoalphas are ai and aj.
foxtrotalpha is a kind of value. The foxtrotalphas are ak and al.
gammaalpha is a kind of value. The gammaalphas are am and ann.
henryalpha is a kind of value. The henryalphas are ao and ap.
indigoalpha is a kind of value. The indigoalphas are aq and ar.
javelinalpha is a kind of value. The javelinalphas are au and av.
kempoalpha is a kind of value. The kempoalphas are aw and ax.
larryalpha is a kind of value. The larryalphas are ay and az.
mondayalpha is a kind of value. The mondayalphas are ba and bb.
needlealpha is a kind of value. The needlealphas are bc and bd.
omegaalpha is a kind of value. The omegaalphas are bf and bg.
peteralpha is a kind of value. The peteralphas are bh and bi.
quakealpha is a kind of value. The quakealphas are bj and bk.
redalpha is a kind of value. The redalphas are bl and bm.
sierraalpha is a kind of value. The sierraalphas are bn and bo.
tangoalpha is a kind of value. The tangoalphas are bp and bq.
underalpha is a kind of value. The underalphas are br and bs.
vegasalpha is a kind of value. The vegasalphas are bt and bu.
wateralpha is a kind of value. The wateralphas are bv and bx.
xerxesalpha is a kind of value. The xerxesalphas are bz and ca.
yellowalpha is a kind of value. The yellowalphas are cb and cc.
zippidydodaalpha is a kind of value. The zippidydodaalphas are cd and ce.
alphabeta is a kind of value. The alphabetas are cf and cg.
betabeta is a kind of value. The betabetas are ch and ci.
charliebeta is a kind of value. The charliebetas are cj and ck.
deltabeta is a kind of value. The deltabetas are cl and cm.
echobeta is a kind of value. The echobetas are cn and co.
foxtrotbeta is a kind of value. The foxtrotbetas are cp and cq.
gammabeta is a kind of value. The gammabetas are cr and cs.
henrybeta is a kind of value. The henrybetas are ct and cu.
indigobeta is a kind of value. The indigobetas are cv and cw.
javelinbeta is a kind of value. The javelinbetas are cx and cy.
kempobeta is a kind of value. The kempobetas are cz and da.
larrybeta is a kind of value. The larrybetas are db and dc.
mondaybeta is a kind of value. The mondaybetas are dd and de.
needlebeta is a kind of value. The needlebetas are df and dg.
omegabeta is a kind of value. The omegabetas are dh and di.
peterbeta is a kind of value. The peterbetas are dj and dk.
quakebeta is a kind of value. The quakebetas are dl and dm.
redbeta is a kind of value. The redbetas are dn and do.
sierrabeta is a kind of value. The sierrabetas are dp and dq.
tangobeta is a kind of value. The tangobetas are dr and ds.
underbeta is a kind of value. The underbetas are dt and du.
vegasbeta is a kind of value. The vegasbetas are dv and dw.
waterbeta is a kind of value. The waterbetas are dx and dy.
xerxesbeta is a kind of value. The xerxesbetas are dz and ea.
yellowbeta is a kind of value. The yellowbetas are eb and ec.
[/code]

This wouldn’t compile under 5Z71, although different folks got different sorts of error messages regarding the nature of the problem. If anyone could check if it works under 6E59, that would be great and very much appreciated. Thanks.

Works for me under 6E59 on Windows.

Thanks (as always) for your help, vaporware. I guess I’ll dl the new version and take it for a test drive. :smiley:

Works on Mac as well.

Even the index is pretty.

@Ron

Thanks for verification on that code.

@vaporware

I got the 6E59 and was playing around a little, installing extensions and such. Before I was relying heavily on your Dynamic Objects extension (which requires your Dynamic Tables to work); thus those were the first supplements I grabbed after installing the Windows 6E59. Is there a newer version of Dynamic Tables available (compared to that found on the Inform website)? I found a slight compatibility problem–a game consisting of only these two lines (set of course to compile to glulx):

[code]Include Dynamic Tables by Jesse Mcgrew.

The testarea is a room.[/code]
won’t compile with the following error message:

The relevant full line of code from Dynamic Tables is:

To decide which table-name is a new table with columns (CS - a list of table-columns) and (N - a number) blank row/rows: (- DT_NewTable({N}, {-pointer-to:CS}); -).

Thanks for any help on this issue.

Not yet. I updated it during private testing, but it looks like I’ll have to update it again for 6E59. I should be able to post that soon.

Dynamic Objects will take a while longer, since the internals of relations have changed significantly.

They’re both great tools and worth the wait. I haven’t really looked at Inform for several months in any case, and it will be a bit before I get back up to speed enough to start writing code using Dynamic Objects.

Thanks.

OK, try this new version of Dynamic Tables: link

I’ll submit it within a few days if no problems crop up.

@vaporware

Thanks for the link. I installed the updated Dynamic Tables and a small test project compiles fine; I didn’t actually try to do anything with it yet, but if there’s any unexpected functional issue I’ll let you know.

@all

I was toying with the Windows version of I7 6E59 and noticed a few minor things:

–In the source code text panel, if I press the “end” key on my keyboard the cursor jumps to the end of the current paragraph rather than the end of the current line of text (as I would have expected based on the way all text editors work and the way I7 5Z71 worked)

–If I copy some text from the source code panel of I7 and paste it into Windows Notepad, I see all these weird square thingies wherever there’s a tab or line break in the pasted text; on a positive note, in the past I couldn’t paste text from a text editor into the I7 source code pane under some circumstances but that seems to be fixed now;

–I guess (according to the changelog) I’m in a small minority in that I often made extensive use of procedural rule manipulations, which are now to be phased out; life goes on, I guess

–Using the new “Use no deprecated features” parameter results in an error in Emily Short’s “Plurality” extension. A line in the extension should (presumably, not functionally tested) be changed to:

After printing the name of an ambiguously plural thing (called the suspect): if the manual pronouns option is active, do nothing; otherwise notice the plurality of the suspect.
–On another positive note, I’m now able to change the font size/displayed text size of text in the I7 source code pane; in 5Z71 that never worked for me, and the only size of text I could have in the past was “smaller.”

–There’s some minor issue with word wrapping in the source code pane; a punctuation mark at the end of a sentence may be shifted to the next line. For example I had something that looked like this:

The printed name of the southunderpond is "Pond (Underwater)" . The description of the southunderpond is "The pond-bottom, an oozing muck of primordial darkness, is barely visible through the murky water."

Please report bugs at the bug tracker. The problem with copying line breaks on Windows and the use of deprecated features in Plurality have been reported there previously.

I think the Home and End keys were also reported previously. Almost immediately, IIRC.

The dev team is attempting to remove the procedural rules for performance concerns, but are interested in applications that have been found for them. For instance, on the suggestions forum (inform7.uservoice.com/forums/57320-general), adding a condition to a pre-existing rule is ranked #2 out of about 100 suggestions, as it will gain back 90% of what the procedural rules have been used for.

We have a thread in this forum regarding stories or explanations for what uses we’ve found for procedural rules: https://intfiction.org/t/replacing-procedural-rules/978/1

Famous last words! Uh, I meant this Saturday. They’re actually early.

Fedora and Ubuntu packages are available at http://inform7.com, and also at the Sourceforge site. The source code is also available there of course.

Thanks a bunch for the Linux GUI update.

Is there any way to install the Ubuntu i386 package on x86-64 Ubuntu? 'Cause GDebi tells me I can’t install it.

Error: Wrong architecture 'i386'

I really don’t know anything about compatibility between the two architectures.

GDebi is right, there is no way. Usually a 64-bit package gets built by volunteers before too long. If you don’t want to wait, you can download the source code and compile it yourself (not too hard, and I can help you out), or you can be one of those volunteers and build the package for everyone else to enjoy too (quite easy if you have already managed to compile the source code, and again, I can help you out.)

If you’re interested in either of those options, please let me know by e-mail.